Cave diving with an instructor - Split from MP3 thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
FFEMTcJ:
I just bought one because I find cave dives boring, but that's all my group seems to want to do. So hey... now I can go and not be so bored.

[hijack]Cave dives boring. With that attitude you don't belong in a cave. Please stay out of them. Especially with only 0-14 dives, you definately don't belong in any overhead environments.[/hijack]

Dive-aholic:
[hijack]Cave dives boring. With that attitude you don't belong in a cave. Please stay out of them. Especially with only 0-14 dives, you definately don't belong in any overhead environments.[/hijack]

When I do them I am always with an instructor and a rescue diver..

FFEMTcJ:

It doesn't matter who you are with. You shouldn't be in a cave without cave training. Since you are just starting out, here's something you should read. Please read all of them. It could save your life.

Sorry for the hijack webhead.

FFEMTcJ:

Being an instructor doesn't qualify someone to cave dive. Many open water instructors have died in caves because they don't have the proper training. Being a rescue diver doesn't qualify someone to cave dive either. Completion of several days of training and several dives is what qualifies someone to cave dive. And even then, you may not be qualified. Cave diving can be a dangerous endeavor if you're not properly trained and following the rules. We haven't had a cave diving fatality so far this year. Please stay out of the caves because we'd like to keep it that way!

I also apologize for the hijack webhead, but this is too important not to address. Maybe a MOD can move the cave related posts and create a separate thread in the Accidents and Near Misses forum.

FFEMTcJ:

You might want to change rescue and have recovery diver standing by! There are reasons why we don't dive beyond our training!

Dive Safe,
Butch

Do us all a favor and don't become a statistic. I was going to say "cave diving statistic" but I don't believe you'd qualify. According to what you posted, you'd qualify as "Open Water diver death in cave" statistic. Just like a large majority of the ~500 people who have died in caves--those with no formal cave training.

As a general rule, "rescue divers" aren't trained to pull dead bodies out of caves.

i'm still stuck on the 'boring' part...

i find cave diving fascinating!! and cave divers, too...enough that i'm thinking of going next weekend even though i can't dive. *love* north florida!!

BabyDuck:
i'm still stuck on the 'boring' part...

i find cave diving fascinating!! and cave divers, too...enough that i'm thinking of going next weekend even though i can't dive. *love* north florida!!

Come on girl you can be surface support!

Butch

Just to clarify, I PMed FFEMTcj and received a response. He is not actually cave diving. What he is diving is Blue Grotto, Blue Spring, and Devil's Den. All of these allow open water divers, but I did advise FFEMTcj to get overhead training anyway because open water divers have died in caverns, too. Hopefully, he'll take the advice.

PacketSniffer:
Sorry for the hijack webhead.

No worries. Especially when people apologies, do it for a good reason and the mods can make a new thread when it's worth discussing. What an awesome board.

One comment for the mods, they may want to put a not in the other thread giving the topic for the hijack split off. And you guys do one heck of a job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom