Bonaire Medical Facilities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IntoH2O

Registered
Reaction score
I probably should check with the local dive shops but I plan to be in Bonaire the month of Jan 2007. I had a heart attack a year ago and even though I've been cleared to dive I was wondering if any of you have had experience with the medical facilities there especially cardiologists or cardiology facilities.

this is just a contingency. Since my heart attack I have been diving quite a bit and spend a lot of time on my personal fitness and diet.

thanks

You need to check with Liz that owns Golden Reef Inn - she is a nurse for the chamber there. SHe would know about the medical service providers on the island.

Into,

Sorry I didn't answer sooner, we sold our house in the US and had to run back to clean it out...from sale to closing in 3 weeks...whew!

Anyway, You will be fine regarding medical facilities. Dr. Dick van der Vaart is the best on the island. God forbid if anything happened they could easily stablize and treat you and if needed they have ambulance planes (I think 3) to take you to Curacao to St. Elizabeth's Hospital. I also highly suggest that you check into insurance with DAN. You should also check to see if your insurance would cover you to fly you to the states if needed.

I visited Bonaire often when I had my brain tumor (I'm fine now!) and had a contigent plan with my neurosurgeon in Philly that if something happened to me I could be stablized in the Antilles then flow to Miami where my neurosurgeon had recommended someone there.

You should be fine.

Liz

Here's a picture with Dr. Dick van der Vaart along with his Bonaire Chamber Crew and the infamous Dick Rutkowski. are you in this picture Liz??

2007704BonHyper.jpg

DeputyDan:
You need to check with Liz that owns Golden Reef Inn - she is a nurse for the chamber there. SHe would know about the medical service providers on the island.
Thank you very much for the information. Actually Liz replied to me before I could ask her.

Thanks again

Ok all....lol....

Actually that is Dick Rutkowski (center on one knee), the father of "hyperbaric" in the picture...Dr. vd vaart is not in the picture! He was probably having office hours!!!! Unfortunately I had to opt out of the course I had to go back to the states to empty out our house!

I don't know how to put a picture in or I would put in on the thread so you all can see what I look like!

LOL....please feel free to ask any questions, if I can answer them I will!

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom