Red filter for wide angle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icliao

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Do you use Red Filter for under water wide angle still photo shots?

I don't but others do. You might want to check out the Magic Filters that are available for a wide range of cameras.

You can also try simply setting your manual white balance if your camera allows that.

Or go whole hog and hook up two good strobes, like the Ike 125s :)

A lot will depend on where you shoot, what you are shooting and which system you are using. Oh yeah, and your budget - but we tend to ignore that when we start talking about uw photo!

icliao:
Do you use Red Filter for under water wide angle still photo shots?

No, I don't.

I use manual white balance on all my non-strobe shots then adjust them in Photoshop.

If your camera has RAW capability that would be the way to go.

I did some experimenting with and without a filter and so no need to use one with manual white balance. My camera does not have RAW capability.

I was just playing with some wreck pictures I took (in RAW) and since the sand is a good reference many times to be white, I was able to fix the white balance very easily in Aperture (photoshop would work too). There really is no need to do a manual white balance IF you can do RAW, however, I feel sorry for the ones that can't do RAW.

I wouldn't buy a camera for UW purposes that couldn't do RAW anymore after what I saw on these pics I was playing with. Very easy to fix the color and you don't have to mess with filters or manual WB. Just shoot and get the exposure close (just don't over-expose) and then you are good to go. :D

Thanks everyone. My camera do not do RAW unfortunately. But the camera can adjust white balance automatically. So I guess I just have to carry a white slate for it to focus and adjust underwater.

icliao:
Thanks everyone. My camera do not do RAW unfortunately. But the camera can adjust white balance automatically. So I guess I just have to carry a white slate for it to focus and adjust underwater.

It's the way to go. I have a small piece of a white plastic laundry jug clipped to my BCD with a small brass clip.

rjsimp is right on when he states not to buy an underwater camera w/o RAW capability.

I was disappointed with Canon when they produced the S80 w/o RAW.

Yes I do. My digital rig is an Olympus SP-310, PT-030 housing, Magic Filter and a Sea & Sea wide angle lens (using a 46-58mm step up ring).

If you are debating between a wide angle lens or a strobe, go for the wide angle. I know others here may tell you to get the strobe, but the Magic Filters are so easy to use. Nothing tells you what the dive looked like more than a reefscape.

On my trip to Fiji, I shot everything in RAW. Since I white balanced manually, I had to make very few changes. JPEG would be just fine. I'm trying to attach some photos, but Scubaboard isn't cooperating. Here's a link to the photos I took with the filter:
http://www.pbase.com/krancer/fiji_2006_

Hi DesertEagle, I saw the pictures you took with filter, they look awesome.
Unfortunately, I was steered away from filter by a friend. I will not receive the filter in time for my big trip next week in Galapagos. Anyway, I will still have my video camera with red filter. Thanks for your help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom