Camera for under 600 bucks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, I'm in the market for a digital camera and i'm in the price range of 600 bucks (not including housing or any other accessories for that matter. just the camera.) wondering if anyone could make any suggestions on cameras to look into.
thanks

I might be selling my D-100 with housing for about that pretty soon.

You should check Costco for the D-80. (Nikon) Look at B and H photo, Adorama too. Costco takes stuff back for any reason...gotta love that.

catherine96821:
I might be selling my D-100 with housing for about that pretty soon.
Getting something bigger? better?

D70s or Rebel 350 are being sold for about that.

Jack

JeffG:
Getting something bigger? better?

I WANT a D-200. But..no money now.:(

My trick is to get whatever Ron Frank has so I don't have to read the manual.:D

it is my new tech support strategy. wish I knew someone with my cell-phone, my vcr still flashes 12:00.

Jeff, that is an ugly avatar BTW.

ThatsSomeBadHatHarry:
Hi all, I'm in the market for a digital camera and i'm in the price range of 600 bucks (not including housing or any other accessories for that matter. just the camera.) wondering if anyone could make any suggestions on cameras to look into.
thanks
How serious do you intend to be about photography?
How often do you dive, what sort of shots are you interested, Wide angle or macro?
Will the size of your setup matter at all??

It is possible to find a dslr (body + kit lens) for 600 (Nikon D50, Canon Digital Rebel XT/350D) but the housing, strobes, ports, lenses will run you substantially more than that......

I have a feeling that you're thinking of a compact camera with that price range?
If so i'd recommend the Canon powershot series, Fuji E900, Olympus SP-350 or something in that range.....

Catherine a D100 and housing for that price is a steal!
I actually think that you could get a bit more than that......

You should take a look at the D70 which will be quite reasonable as Christmas approaches or take a look at the D80 (basically a D200 in different clothing :wink: ).......

Cheers.

catherine96821:
Jeff, that is an ugly avatar BTW.
But its funny.............

hey...since when are you a solo diver? Can't be DIR in wet undies?

Hmm, Jam, I will consider that. I paid 1200 for the body, duty free in the West Indies....Little Switzerland.

catherine96821:
hey...since when are you a solo diver? Can't be DIR in wet undies?
Ever since NetDoc kicked Daniel and I out of the DIR forum :wink:

hahahhahaha. permanently?

well, kevrumbo is back....

well, you getting kicked out of DIR forum kinda makes the point.

Solo is much healthier way to be.--no expectations, no committments.

Harry, the camera is the cheapest part. So..get what you want or you will end up with an inexpensive camera and the housings are all about the same. Law of diminished return.

I pay you to euthanize my neighbor's poodle.

Back
Top Bottom