Jupiter Pics Oct 1st -- Lots of Goliath Grouper!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Doug Ebersole

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I had a great dive aboard Temptation yesterday with Cpt. Paul (www.jupiterdivecharters.com). We hit a series of wrecks to look for goliath grouper. For the past several years ago there have been aggregations of these large fish in great numbers at the Hole in the Wall which is quite deep (aprrox 145 fsw). However, this year they have been hanging around the Zion, the Jenny, and the Bonaire in Jupiter at more reasonable depths (approx 90 fsw). Here are some photos from yesterday. Others are on my website here:

http://debersole.com/layout/0001/gallery_view.cfm?g=94

jupiteroctober2006crw_1242a.jpg

jupiteroctober2006crw_1248a.jpg

jupiteroctober2006crw_1257a.jpg

Nice pics, Debersol. The first one is especially nice. Getting next to those giants is pretty amazing. We did a swim through at Santa Rosa reef in Coz on a night dive and there was one sitting in a hole at about 65 feet. His head was in one end of the hole, and when we swam to the other end, his tail was there. No camera yet at the time, unfortunately.

Great shots. I was just down there and finally got a chance to see some. They make some incredible noises too, don't they?

Larry C:
Getting next to those giants is pretty amazing. .

Not really. There are now hundreds of them all over the place in that area. They are unafraid and can be somewhat agressive, especially to spearfisherman. They are cool to see, but since they can no longer be hunted, they are becoming very bold and very common. I guess it is a bonus for sightseers and a problem for spearfisherman. We sometimes lose half our fish to them when snorkeling. Super nice pictures though!

Nice pix..............

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom