New pics to C&C

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fastmarc

Just drifting along...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

Well, my dive to the Flower Gardens got cancelled due to high seas, so no photos to show. Bumber.
However, I took some photos this Sunday and I wanted your critic on if I did any better.
I tried some different settings, which I think looks better.
On the 2 close-up pictures I decided to move the shutter speed from 1/80 to 1/125 when using the flash. I was always afraid of the pics being under-exposed, but I think they were actually being a little over exposed with the 1/80.
On the landscapes that I did without the flash, I tried a shutter speed of 1/60 and 1/80. Again, I was afraid of the shots being underexposed, so I usually shoot with 1/60, but the 1/80 doesn't seem to look too bad to me.

x1pc_jqddVOWRkKRDqVsBTLQf_yEQO5TGYW_9l0JUL7DsE8mZBXAyp24IDxVfeUvxq399XAgjgOK1ezKrRIcTdsR1CUniJpoNhkZDDibWKOvOZRunjn06LV_8VyDCwyLNS-S0AVOYtjZpg

Shutter Speed: 1/125
Aperture: 6.3
Exposure Mode: Manual
ISO Speed Rating: 80
Focal Length: 7.8 mm
Flash: yes
Metering: Spot
WB: auto

x1pc_jqddVOWRkKRDqVsBTLQSQLUt0Blh9S8Ln3154G3QtfyMRsZroh-jcT3p3egVeKgTL27u8PNOPXF66CFeesUuX9HAfi_m4hZ45-GBmKTRGDvPb5ppxp0GnBe2AkDRDgRX15yNREPiI

Shutter Speed: 1/125
Flash: yes
WB: auto

x1pc_jqddVOWRkKRDqVsBTLQdYN9DDDq_F4pDI2J9nmqptLFjd0botQvE6OTUouybMghDNkk9UnIBb7tbgr1HAqTPSaNzm0gdpSa3xu5Zl9Zrxm_-4TcOafU0DFPc4_u2pOSlv-oP3pZtA

Shutter Speed: 1/60
Flash: no
WB: cloud

x1pc_jqddVOWRkKRDqVsBTLQcr2r-aB7StV1npd7X5Jtu9_szIIIQhRbh0-aP3XsdsZBNbnMrUYQFkw8crODJg1fQu_rzcsie6KsXh9GYc_IJNK3hZXOUSTxPpRdUmtcilLylttW7cUqbw

Shutter Speed: 1/80
Flash: no
WB: cloud

I like #2 a lot. - Its the best of the lot. It still is lacking strobe brightness on the far right side though, but there's only so much you can do with the camera's internal flash.

#1 seems pretty underexposed.

#3 & 4 - there is only so much you can do without a strobe. Do you have photoshop? There are ways to enhance the images (3 & 4) to bring out some more of the colors.

Imagine #2 with a diver profile way back in the distance...just a composure thought.

So fun, huh?

I like #1! Cool effect.

howarde:
I like #2 a lot. - Its the best of the lot. It still is lacking strobe brightness on the far right side though, but there's only so much you can do with the camera's internal flash.
Thanks. I like that one as well. I have another shot from a different angle that didn't come out too badly as well, but I prefered this one.

howarde:
#1 seems pretty underexposed.
It was in a shaded area and I guess my flash wasn't enough. I could have used photoshop to increase the brightness a bit... not so good at this photoshop thing as yet.
x1pc_jqddVOWRkKRDqVsBTLQf_yEQO5TGYW_9l0JUL7DsE8mZBXAyp24IDxVfeUvxq399XAgjgOK1ezKrRIcTdsR1CUniJpoNhkZDDibWKOvOZRunjn06LV_8VyDCwyLNS-S0AVOYtjZpg

howarde:
#3 & 4 - there is only so much you can do without a strobe. Do you have photoshop? There are ways to enhance the images (3 & 4) to bring out some more of the colors.
Yeah, I realise I'm very limited, but I figured if I can take decent picture without a strobe, I might be that much better when I do get one... hopefully.
As for photoshop? I have lots to learn. Just got it recently.

Thanks for the comments.

Fastmarc:
Yeah, I realise I'm very limited, but I figured if I can take decent picture without a strobe, I might be that much better when I do get one... hopefully.
As for photoshop? I have lots to learn. Just got it recently.

Thanks for the comments.

Check this out http://pt010.da-kine.info/adjustments.htm

At the bottom of the page, it tells you how to install it in photoshop.

it's good for JPEGs shot without a strobe.

You really bring home some shots that show the diversity of your dive - great job!

#3 and #4 are tough. Not just because you don't have a strobe. There's no subject in either of them so they become kind of a roaming reef scene. There really isn't much for our eye to land on so the viewer is mostly left hanging. Even a wide angle reef scene has to have something to "anchor" it. Light in the last one might help some - try getting a tad closer and flipping your camera upside down so the light from your internal flash is directed at the reef and not out into the blue. Might be worth experimenting with. You're just so restricted in WA with the stand alone camera as you have to be so far away! Maybe try some truncated CFWA (much like #2!)

#2 is lovely! You have done very well with the lighting and with getting low and getting separation between the shrimp and the blue! Fabulous! I like the negative space, too. That sponge in the background is distracting so the next time this little shrimp poses for you (because of course he will be cooperative!) try to move around so you have empty blue water behind him. I would close my aperture to f8 to eek out as much DOF as possible next time, but 6.3 has done a good job.

The first one is a nice effect, maybe a tad dark. The good news is there is some information in there so it's a great image to have a play with. Here's a one minute fiddle in curves - I have no idea how to really work curves, but I always like to play LOL

x1pc_jqdd22.jpg

That sponge in #1 is a great subject - next time you see one maybe try getting low low and up close - kinda like what you did with the anemone and shrimp. I think the texture and colour have tremendous potential and if you can get it separated from the background you'll really have a nice image!

Well, done on these...looking forward to seeing more!

Hi Alcina,
I'll try those suggestions with #3 & #4. To be honest, I wasn't really trying for any type of composition. I was just experimenting with the settings to see how good a landscape type shot I could get with certain setting for future reference. I guess I still need lots of work with that.
Your suggestion about getting closer to the sponge makes sense. I'll give that a try next time also.
Thanks for the encouragement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom