Cave diving in Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spaz

Reaction score
Are there any public access underwater diveable caves in Texas or nearbye states? Florida is so far, and though I try to get there a couple of times a year, I need some caves closer to Dallas to keep my skills up. Any Ideas?

I don't know about Texas but there is Mexico and Missouri. I have become verry attatched to the Missouri caves. They are a little deep though.

You might get in touch with Campanna (on this board). He is a cave diver who lives in Texas.

There is nothing like a real cave but skills can be practiced anywhere. We run lines all over the place. We get some funny looks and comments when we go to the local sites in full cave gear. Wait til they see us in our sidemount rigs.

I have heard about some cave diving in Lake Amistad (Goodenough Springs) near Del Rio. I don't know how accessible it is though. I have also dived some caves in Northern Mexico near Tampico but they are all pretty deep.
Good Luck,
Shane

I hear that there are some, but they are secrets that the knower wasn't willing to tell. There are some formerly dry caves in Lake Amistad that are deep. I have gone to Missouri a few times to Mine LaMotte or Roubidoux. I practice frequently at Clear Springs Scuaba Park near Terrell, if you want to join me PM and we'll arrange for it. I know a few other cavers around here that I hook up with, travel to Florida with, etc.

I have a bud here and we often go to Travis and clear springs to practice also, but would would love to hook up with you guys sometime. It still is hard for me to believe there isnt some cave diving around the edwards aquifer and llano uplift. I guarantee you they are private, but there must be a way in....

How about the Missouri caves, or the Arkansas caves, Are there any local clubs or shops that might have info on getting to and diving these?

spaz once bubbled...
I have a bud here and we often go to Travis and clear springs to practice also, but would would love to hook up with you guys sometime. It still is hard for me to believe there isnt some cave diving around the edwards aquifer and llano uplift. I guarantee you they are private, but there must be a way in....

I agree that there SHOULD be some divable caves here in Texas. After all, we got practically everything else. Just remember, Land Owner Relations are very important. If you find a prospect, do your best to gain trust and permission instead of trying a 'trespass dive'.

Good luck on your search, and if you find anything interesting, I would love to know. I have done a little informal searching for caves in Texas myself from time to time and I will see if I can find what I did with the prospect information that I found.

I wasnt trying to imply I would trespass, just that there must be a group locally that knows some landowners, or parks or something. I think I am going to go an NSS Meeting in Forth Worth this month and meet some of those guys and see what is up in their world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom