Does Air Come Out of Your Eye? [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : Does Air Come Out of Your Eye?

Sponsored Link

Brandnew2Scuba
October 3rd, 2006, 07:47 PM
When I equalize my ears I have to close my right eye as tight as I can because as soon as I blow against my plugged nose the air escapes out of my right eye. I'm told this is both gross and cool to look at underwater, a small steady stream of bubbles coming out of my eye. My instructor had never seen such a thing after years of teaching, so I was just wondering if anyone else has this, or maybe I'm the only one. Not exactly a super power, but at least I can always make my dive buddy laugh underwater.:D

rocketry
October 3rd, 2006, 07:51 PM
I think there are many passage ways for air to escape from the sinus'. All people are different. sounds like a TALENT to me!

(btw, i am celebrating this, my 100th post. 3 Stars, baby!)

beach89
October 3rd, 2006, 07:53 PM
I've had it happen when I sneeze. Though, it sucks when I have my contacts in .

NetDoc
October 3rd, 2006, 07:54 PM
I imagine they are coming out of your tear ducts.

shark_tamer
October 3rd, 2006, 07:54 PM
When I equalize my ears I have to close my right eye as tight as I can because as soon as I blow against my plugged nose the air escapes out of my right eye... a small steady stream of bubbles coming out of my eye.

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Only one question comes to mind: Don't you wear a mask ???

MilitantMedic
October 3rd, 2006, 07:56 PM
LOL this is great, have you seen the guy that can shoot milk out of his tear ducts?

shakeybrainsurgeon
October 3rd, 2006, 07:59 PM
There is a passage that drains the tears from the eye into the nose, I think its called schlemm's canal or something (my anatomy class was thirty years ago). That's why you get teary eyed when your nasal passages swell from a cold, or from allergies. Swollen nasal passages block the outflow of tears. Likewise, air can go from the nose to the eye.

Kwbyron
October 3rd, 2006, 07:59 PM
When your eyes produce tears, they are produced in a gland in the outer corner, they travel across your eye and through a small cannal and out through your nose... I've seen video of people squirting milk through this passage... get a pic of that though, I'd like to see it.

CoolTech
October 3rd, 2006, 08:02 PM
I imagine they are coming out of your tear ducts.That is correct. It is a rare condition where the sinus openings have a connection to the tear ducts. Every once in awhile I have the same thing happen.

Doctor said to be careful. If you have a sinus infection it can spread to the eye through the connection. He also told me very few people actually have the connection Then there was the reference to "Gods chosen ones" or something like that
:D

shakeybrainsurgeon
October 3rd, 2006, 08:07 PM
Correction schlemm's canal is in the eye itself

the connection between the nose and the eye is called the nasolacrimal duct and it is present in everyone:blinking:

Brandnew2Scuba
October 3rd, 2006, 09:25 PM
:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Only one question comes to mind: Don't you wear a mask ???

Of course I have to take off my mask for the bubbles, but with mask on I have to really squeeze my eye shut to equalize. I'll have to find someone with a camera so I can post a pic of it up here. I've heard about the milk guy from people asking me if I can do it, I can't, just air. I kind of wish I could do it out of both eyes, that would look cool, and I could scuba with goggles as I could equalize both eyes. ;)

Splitlip
October 3rd, 2006, 09:28 PM
LOL this is great, have you seen the guy that can shoot milk out of his tear ducts?
seen smoke . .

Brandnew2Scuba
October 3rd, 2006, 09:31 PM
I could probably do it with smoke, but I quit a couple of weeks ago. Oh ya, on dry land you can hear the air squeeking out of my eye. ;) = pic of me trying to equalize :D

cudachaser
October 3rd, 2006, 09:56 PM
That happens to me....I've had several sinus surgurys so I figure they cut a hole in my sinus next to my eye

trucker girl
October 3rd, 2006, 10:04 PM
I think there are many passage ways for air to escape from the sinus'. All people are different. sounds like a TALENT to me!

(btw, i am celebrating this, my 100th post. 3 Stars, baby!)

If you're supposed to do your 100th dive naked does the same go for your 100th post? Never mind... I don't need to know...

trucker girl
October 3rd, 2006, 10:06 PM
I dove with erparamedic a coupla times... she shoots bubbles out of her ear when she equalizes...

You two should get together sometime.

ReefGuy
October 3rd, 2006, 10:10 PM
I went to clown school (for real) and there was a clown there that could blow up a qualtex 260 with his eye. If you've ever tried to do this, you know how hard that is with your mouth.

CoolTech
October 3rd, 2006, 10:14 PM
I went to clown school (for real) and there was a clown there that could blow up a qualtex 260 with his eye. If you've ever tried to do this, you know how hard that is with your mouth.:balloon There might be 5 people on this board who might know what a qualtex 260 is (other than just a balloon)

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

trucker girl
October 3rd, 2006, 10:15 PM
What is a qualtex 260? Is that technical clown jargon for "balloon"? :smile:

trucker girl
October 3rd, 2006, 10:16 PM
:balloon There might be 5 people on this board who might know what a qualtex 260 is (other than just a balloon)

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Okay, so I was close... I could have guessed it was a rubber glove.

SeanQ
October 3rd, 2006, 10:18 PM
I've had this happen before. You havn't lived until you've tried to blow your nose and had stuff take the wrong turn and come out your eye.

cummings66
October 3rd, 2006, 10:43 PM
Yeah, I routinely have stuff take the wrong turn and come out the eye, it's a bit gross when you sneeze and have to wipe your sunglasses off.

Fortunately it's not a real common thing, but it happens a few times a month and has for as long as I can remember.

In my family I have an Uncle who can blow smoke out his ears, while he wiggles them. Another blows smoke out his eye, so I'm not sure this is that rare of a thing.

ScubaJewel
October 3rd, 2006, 11:33 PM
Yes, This happens to me as well in the same eye, When I first started diving I couldn't equalize my right ear, I also felt air escapeing from my eye, I told my instructor about it and he told me I wasn't trying hard enough. When I told Kevin about it we went to the pool to practice. He had me try to equalize without a mask on underwater. He saw the bubbles coming from the corner of my eye. He suggested that I squeeze my eye shut and try to equalize again, When I did it worked wonderfully.

I never really questioned it again, I just close my eye and it all works fine.

IceIce
October 3rd, 2006, 11:54 PM
LOL to those smoke, air and water blowing.
It is really sounds like talent to me :))

SNorman
October 4th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Yeah, I have that happen sometimes when I blow my nose, but not during equalizing.

Bryan
October 4th, 2006, 12:05 AM
I don't have air coming out of my eye... other places, but not my eye.

Jason Ooi
October 4th, 2006, 12:06 AM
It happen to my buddy

tee_jay
October 4th, 2006, 05:15 AM
My aunt works at an optometrists. They had one patient who had a glass eye. Whenever he sneezed his eye would pop out. Quite a shock for those around him!

Skeeter1097
October 4th, 2006, 05:19 AM
I think you are all sick. Milk out of the eyes, Right. I would like to see that. I can see the air but milk.

Toolbox-13
October 4th, 2006, 05:22 AM
I went to clown school (for real) and there was a clown there that could blow up a qualtex 260 with his eye. If you've ever tried to do this, you know how hard that is with your mouth.

:rofl3: :rofl3: LOL...I'll bet your mother was proud of that career choice...hehehe...:rofl3: :rofl3:

F UNit
October 4th, 2006, 05:31 AM
I can blow air out of my eye as well - we are the chosen ones.

Brandnew2Scuba
October 4th, 2006, 08:47 AM
I can blow air out of my eye as well - we are the chosen ones.

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: ...I like that interpretation!!

MilitantMedic
October 4th, 2006, 08:57 AM
BTW they even have a world record catagory for squirting milk from your eyes.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2004-09-01-milk-squirting_x.htm

Maybe the OP should start training.

Brandnew2Scuba
October 4th, 2006, 09:05 AM
OMG, that's disgusting!!!

DennisW
October 4th, 2006, 09:12 AM
I agree, it's disgusting. And I, too am one of the chosen ones. I'm not a sun sneezer either, which is also a sign of royalty.

bubblemonkey
October 4th, 2006, 09:48 AM
thats awesome....I wish I could blow eye bubbles.

Orlando Eric
October 4th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Blowing Bubbles out of your eyes!?! Man what will you wierdo's come up with next?

I think in the old circus shows they were called freaks and geeks.

There is an old black and white movie called freaks, I am going to see if I can find a copy and review it for bubble blowing eyeball freaks.

There will most likely be some freak "squatting under a mushroom right next to the dog faced boy."

on man the geeky references in that post.....

Footslogger
October 4th, 2006, 10:56 AM
I get air bubbles in my eye (right) when I do a forceful valsva maneuver AND I sneeze in bright sunlight. Guess that makes me a chosen one AND Royalty ??

One thing that puzzles me though from an earlier post ...if everyone has this communication between the sinuses and the orbital floor, why do only SOME people experience the bubbles ?? By the way ...my bubbles seem to come from below/behind the globe rather than from the lacrimal duct.

'Slogger

cummings66
October 4th, 2006, 11:58 AM
I've never had issues equalizing due to the air leaks, but I can on demand blow air out my right eye at the inside corner. I just pinch the nose and blow gently and it will leak out. Normally I rarely have air come out as I said before, but it's easily done if I want to. During diving when I do the valsalva maneuver it's so gentle that I don't think it leaks. Above water I can do it by yawning and do it frequently, again no issues.

I read it was a problem with the one way valve not working correctly and if I recall they suggested it was caused by an infection at some point in your life. It is NOT supposed to happen in normal people from what I read, and those that know me would agree...

I wonder if I should have declared that as a medical defect on the dive app? Nah...

Amazon
October 4th, 2006, 02:28 PM
I too can blow air out of my eye(s).

A couple of years ago I saw an episode of Ripley's, and they had a guy squirting milk from his eye. I jumped up and was like "that's me!!" (not the milk part) They explained that it is caused by a faulty valve that normally allows passage in one direction. But in this case it would allow passage in both directions.

Man, I finally find out a 40 why air comes out my eyes... Fortunately, it does not cause me any problems when equalizing. It's only a problem when I really get stuffy and want to blow my nose!:freak:

Doc Harry
October 5th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Does the air come out of your eye, or does the air come out from your tear duct or from around your eye?

If air comes from out of your eye, you're in big trouble!

If the air comes from out of your tear duct -- well, everyone else has already talked about this.

If air comes out from around your eye, you have an acquired or congenital connection between your sinuses and your orbit. This is usually an acquired problem secondary to a blow-out fracture. When someone is punched in the eye, the eye fractures through the floor and wall of the orbit into the sinuses - "blow out fracture."

beezwax
October 5th, 2006, 01:21 PM
I know an OWSI who can blow air out his eyes (tear ducts)...y'all are the lucky ones who can go diving with (i.e. equalize) swim goggles.

Footslogger
October 5th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Damn ...I'm in big trouble, I guess. Have never had a blow-out fracture or any other injury to the orbit for that matter. I'm just a freak.

Blow it out your eye, I say !!

'Slogger

Brandnew2Scuba
October 5th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Does the air come out of your eye, or does the air come out from your tear duct or from around your eye?

If air comes from out of your eye, you're in big trouble!

If the air comes from out of your tear duct -- well, everyone else has already talked about this.

If air comes out from around your eye, you have an acquired or congenital connection between your sinuses and your orbit. This is usually an acquired problem secondary to a blow-out fracture. When someone is punched in the eye, the eye fractures through the floor and wall of the orbit into the sinuses - "blow out fracture."

I think it comes out of my tear duct, kinda hard to tell though. I used to box alittle but never had any serious injuries from it. I'm pretty sure it's been as it is my entire life, I'm not worried, it may be my only god given talent...did I get ripped off or what?:shiner1:

jham2081
October 5th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Just remember to keep your eyes open as you ascend... (sorry, i didn't read the whole thread if that was used before)

Jorbar1551
October 5th, 2006, 06:21 PM
this truly is awesome

ryanmacneil8448
October 6th, 2006, 01:39 AM
a couple of friends and i where sitting around smokin and one of my friends blew smoke out of his tear duct. really weird to watch

Doc Ed
October 6th, 2006, 01:50 AM
:lol: I knew someone from my college days who had a ruptured eardrum and could blow smoke from out of one EAR! I kid you not! Hilarious!

dlwalke
October 6th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Now I don't know nothing about no air coming out an eyeball. But I do know that I routinely squirt water out my eye and into my mask when I equalize. No S#@t!

Puffer Fish
October 6th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Of course I have to take off my mask for the bubbles, but with mask on I have to really squeeze my eye shut to equalize. I'll have to find someone with a camera so I can post a pic of it up here. I've heard about the milk guy from people asking me if I can do it, I can't, just air. I kind of wish I could do it out of both eyes, that would look cool, and I could scuba with goggles as I could equalize both eyes. ;)
You are not the only one. Can do both eyes, and could spray streams if I wanted to. Mine is from some damage I did doing commercial diving (diving when I should not have). And you can transfer infections. I think I can whistle a tune if I tried.

Just one of many body parts I seem to be loosing with age.

Brandnew2Scuba
October 6th, 2006, 07:27 PM
You are not the only one. Can do both eyes, and could spray streams if I wanted to. Mine is from some damage I did doing commercial diving (diving when I should not have). And you can transfer infections. I think I can whistle a tune if I tried.

Just one of many body parts I seem to be loosing with age.

Both eyes? That must look cool when you blow bubbles, do you have any pics of it?

Puffer Fish
October 9th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Both eyes? That must look cool when you blow bubbles, do you have any pics of it?

I believe that would fall under the "that is gross" category of pictures, and I have enought issues with added that to the list. Perhaps I will take one, when there is nothing better to do.

melissassm
October 11th, 2006, 12:49 PM
My friend Ivan can squirt milk from his right eye. He doesn't like to do it, because he has to inhale the milk up his nose for it to work - seriously.

My OW Instructor said that usually at least 1 out of every 6 people he teaches can usually blow air from their eye. I think Ivan was the only one brave/silly/strange enough to try the milk thing.

Pretty entertaining though...

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1