Does Air Come Out of Your Eye?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brandnew2Scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
When I equalize my ears I have to close my right eye as tight as I can because as soon as I blow against my plugged nose the air escapes out of my right eye. I'm told this is both gross and cool to look at underwater, a small steady stream of bubbles coming out of my eye. My instructor had never seen such a thing after years of teaching, so I was just wondering if anyone else has this, or maybe I'm the only one. Not exactly a super power, but at least I can always make my dive buddy laugh underwater.:D

I think there are many passage ways for air to escape from the sinus'. All people are different. sounds like a TALENT to me!

(btw, i am celebrating this, my 100th post. 3 Stars, baby!)

I've had it happen when I sneeze. Though, it sucks when I have my contacts in .

Brandnew2Scuba:
When I equalize my ears I have to close my right eye as tight as I can because as soon as I blow against my plugged nose the air escapes out of my right eye... a small steady stream of bubbles coming out of my eye.

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Only one question comes to mind: Don't you wear a mask ???

LOL this is great, have you seen the guy that can shoot milk out of his tear ducts?

There is a passage that drains the tears from the eye into the nose, I think its called schlemm's canal or something (my anatomy class was thirty years ago). That's why you get teary eyed when your nasal passages swell from a cold, or from allergies. Swollen nasal passages block the outflow of tears. Likewise, air can go from the nose to the eye.

When your eyes produce tears, they are produced in a gland in the outer corner, they travel across your eye and through a small cannal and out through your nose... I've seen video of people squirting milk through this passage... get a pic of that though, I'd like to see it.

NetDoc:
I imagine they are coming out of your tear ducts.
That is correct. It is a rare condition where the sinus openings have a connection to the tear ducts. Every once in awhile I have the same thing happen.

Doctor said to be careful. If you have a sinus infection it can spread to the eye through the connection. He also told me very few people actually have the connection Then there was the reference to "Gods chosen ones" or something like that
:D

Correction schlemm's canal is in the eye itself

the connection between the nose and the eye is called the nasolacrimal duct and it is present in everyone:blinking:

Back
Top Bottom