I can't believe it!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivetheRock

Contributor
Reaction score
Clarenville, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
# of dives
0 - 24
I can't belive there aren't any Newfoundlanders and Labradorians posting here frequently. I know one here, for sure. But she's too busy instructing to post, I guess.:wink:
I'd like to engage in some conversations about diving our province. It's such a great place to dive, arguably one of the best in the world (at least as far as cold waters is concerned).
Any takers on subjects to discuss?
I was thinking of starting a website where anyone in our province, including both Labrador and the island portion, could drop in and leave their name and contact details, dive locations, well kept dive location secrets burning to be told, etc. Perhaps divers could get together for a few dives when in each other's areas, check out other parts of the province, or plan dives together. We are world-known for our hospitality, let's see if we could get something going here. I know NL has had a rough time in getting a bond of divers established; there must be a way to overcome it all.
Suggestions welcome.

Welcome to the World of Scuba. Im sure you will get many years of great diving and will make lots of diving friends... Look forward to blowing some bubbles with you sometime down the road.

Joe

We post but not always in the Eastern section. There are probably more expats on here than you'd think. I've met quite a few. Keep us updated on that website.

I believe I met you and your wife at Tapper's Cove a couple weeks ago, Diver Joe. My brother and I were with Sue. Anyway, it's a big province with lots of divers. It seems that there is potential to get something going here for diving in terms of friendships and dive buddies and the like.
Look how far motorcycling and the cyclist bond has progressed over the past several years here - amazing! One need only drive out to the Paradise Tim Hortons on a nice evening to see bikers from all over meeting to discuss motorcycling, shoot the breeze, and ogle over each bike on the lot.
There are many places undiscovered when it comes to diving, we could all share the information and fellowship.
BTW, jiveturkey, great website! I've already added it under My Favorites.

Yup, that was me...nice meeting you then and now. Looks like your off to a good start...Keep it up...some of us dive all year round...so you should always be able to find someone for a dive at just about anytime.

Safe Dives

I agree that Newfoundland offers some of the best cold water diving in the world. Unfortunatly or maybe fortunatly it's one of the most hidden diving treasures. When I first came to Canada in 1990 I setteled in Newfoundland and spent there 9 great years. Being diving proffessional I got to dive all over this great island and also Labrador.When I first visited east coast of Labrador there were no divers at all. I was put in charge to train fishermen to dive for seafood.Nine months later there were more than seventy advanced divers with three diving service station between Red Bay and Cartwright. We were diving in a historical places like Battle Harbour. I remember aboundance of artifacts under the water. In 1999 I sold my dive shop I ran in Gander and I moved to Toronto where I opened another dive centre "Aquasub".Two years later I decided to go back and dive in Newfoundland again.This time I took a group of divers with me to introduce them to diving in Newfoundland.We decided to dive Bell Island Wrecks.We used my old buddies Rick Stanleys dive charter "Ocean Quest" and the rest was a history.Trip to Newfoundland become our annual trip and my divers love it.They still can't belive how great diving opportunities we have in Canada. To view trip reports from Newfoundland go to scuba board located on my website www.aquasubscuba.com trip reports Canada.
Have fun
Cheers

The wrecks in Bell Island are getting us some world class noteriety in the tech diving world. A look at ontariodiving.com shows that. And by completely random chance, I was leafing through a Russian dive magazine in a dive shop in Korea. The shop gets an annual visit from a group from Vladivostok and there was an article on those wrecks. Everything was in Russian but when I looked at the houses in one of the photos, I thought they looked like teh ones in downtown St. John's. Then I looked closer and realized it was a 5 page spread on Bell Island diving. The title of the article was blah blah something Russian "Newfie". Good to see that NL diving is getting profiled because most of the dive magazine seem to concentrate on the tropics.

Glad you like the blog DTR. I've got some shots from NL dives that I should post just to "represent".

Yup, small world eh. I am one of the Divers Featured in the Article..and have the english version if your interested in having it...let me know and I'll email it to you.

Actually, Diver Joe, I'd be interested in reading that article. Anyway you could post it up right here to make it public?
Norberto, that's quite an interesting dive history you have. If I'm not mistaken, and I'm certain Diver Joe can confirm this, there are plans in the very near future to start dives in the mines of Bell Island. I'm no expert on diving, but from what I can see, this should put NL on the map as far as diving is concerned (if we aren't already there). It appears that this would be comparable to the cave dives, say, of Mexico and the like.
BTW, Diver Joe, could you tell me exactly where the 350 year old ship wreck is located in Trinity. It's under a mere 35 ft. of water, no? I'm in Clarenville, which as you know is less than an hour from there, but I'd like to know exactly where the beach is...perhaps you could direct me. Thanks.

DivetheRock:
If I'm not mistaken, and I'm certain Diver Joe can confirm this, there are plans in the very near future to start dives in the mines of Bell Island. I'm no expert on diving, but from what I can see, this should put NL on the map as far as diving is concerned (if we aren't already there). It appears that this would be comparable to the cave dives, say, of Mexico and the like.

I can guarantee you that the mines of Bell Island will be nothing like the caves of Mexico.

Steve Lewis apparently did some penetration of the mines this summer and I believe has plans for further exploration.

Back
Top Bottom