VT3 problems: backlight & stuck button

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THD

Reaction score
I've had my VT3 for a few weeks and really like it. A couple problems have popped up after only a few dives though.

Backlight: Works fine unless set to "0" time. When I depress and hold the "S" (light) button, the backlight blinks (comes on very briefly then turns off). It will stay on from about half a second to occasionally one second. When the backlight time is set to 5 or 10, it works fine. Might be a problem with the "S" button, don't know. I don't think so though, since when I hold the "S" button down for 2 seconds it displays the battery status as shown in the instructions.

Stuck button: the left-hand "M" button sticks in warm water. First noticed it last night when rinsing the VT3 at home after a dive. Running cool tap water over the unit will free the button. Being an engineer, I filled a container with warm (<95°F) water and verified that the sticking has to do with warm water, and it happens consistently. Normally not a problem diving here in San Diego but I'm more than a little nervous about taking it somewhere tropical. Especially if the VT3 gets warm on the boat/shore before I get wet. It would seem that the first push of the "M" button would get it stuck and stay stuck if I were in 80°F water.

Computer info: VT3. Serial number 438. Firmware 1A.

I plan on taking it back to Ocean Enterprises for warranty service this evening.

Anybody have similar backlight and/or stuck button issues? Or are your backlights working fine?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom