Wreck divin Alaska!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
So in this months issue of Alaska magazine there is an article about wreck diving in the Lynn canal. They mention 1700 ship wercks in Alaskan waters. Most of the shallow older ones are shown on the charts but what about the new ones? I don't suppose anyone has done a "Alaskan wreck diving" book? Does anyone know of a more diver friendly source than the nautical charts? Maybe we could start a sub forum of wreck and dive sites with lat/long and descriptions?

NOAA has a pretty good database going but it takes some work to dig through it. chartmaker.ncd.noaa.gov/hsd/awois/contus/awois.htm
It has not only wrecks but most of the other stuff left over from the Gold Rush that you can dive.
Also the discovery channle did a couple episodes on some of the more popular/notable wrecks so you can check that out.
A good book of all the wrecks would be really coo.

Wildcard:
So in this months issue of Alaska magazine there is an article about wreck diving in the Lynn canal. They mention 1700 ship wercks in Alaskan waters. Most of the shallow older ones are shown on the charts but what about the new ones? I don't suppose anyone has done a "Alaskan wreck diving" book? Does anyone know of a more diver friendly source than the nautical charts? Maybe we could start a sub forum of wreck and dive sites with lat/long and descriptions?

I have found this database helpful when "wrecksearching" a local wreck, it needs updating though as it stops in 200?

http://www.mms.gov/alaska/ref/ships/

Happy Hunting:D ,

Poog

If it stops in 200, Id say for sure it needs to be updated! LOL..... Thanks for teh leads guys....Hope this wind stops soon, blowing 60KTS gusting near 80 right now.

Which Lynn canal wrecks are mentioned? I was on 2 of the 3 this weekend. Princess Sophia Saturday and Princess Kathleen Sunday.

My avatar is the Kathleen

Dave

Wildcard:
If it stops in 200, Id say for sure it needs to be updated! LOL..... Thanks for teh leads guys....Hope this wind stops soon, blowing 60KTS gusting near 80 right now.

The shipwreck database just goes to the year 2000, I wasn't sure about that earlier so that's why I left the last digit as a question mark, sorry for the confusion.

Poog:coffee:

I got it, I was just being a smart*****...
The Kathleen was mentioned and I dont rember the other one. Id love to dive the K sometime.

Kathleen is a cool wreck but the Sophia has WAY better animal life on it. If you come down this way you should dive them both their fairly close together.

Snowbear:
SteveKL is an Alaska shipwreck history buff. He's even written a book about one of them. He also found the SS Aleutian somewhere off Kodiak Island. He likely knows a bit about some of the other Alaska wrecks as well :wink:

Steve was in town last weekend. sea2summit and I took him out to the Kathleen and Sophia.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom