Transplate vs. Harness- Basci Differences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leousb

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After reading a lot about bc´s vs. BP/W, ultimately decided to go with a BP/W setup, and more specifically a Dive-rite.

So kept browsing the forums, and Diverite webpage and did not find any "objective and precise" comparison between the models offered by them::confused:

- Transplate - T3200
- HARNESS - BACKPLATE - DELUXE BC1080
- HARNESS - BACKPLATE - DLX QUICK RELEASE BC1080Q
(I´m Not considering TransPac or the "basic harness)

Would also appreciate recomendation on a Wing for these harnesses for doing singles and other for doubles (something that I´m not going to be doing at least for a year or two).

Would appreciate also all the info (doesn´t matter how basic it may sound) that explains thoroughly the differences between them. (for instance, are any of these a"hog" harness?? or all of them have the quick release buckles?? don´t mind the quick release since I don´t do DIR.

Thanks a lot.

leousb:
After reading a lot about bc´s vs. BP/W, ultimately decided to go with a BP/W setup, and more specifically a Dive-rite.
Glad you made that choice:D

So kept browsing the forums, and Diverite webpage and did not find any "objective and precise" comparison between the models offered by them::confused:

- Transplate - T3200
This takes all the adjustability and comfort of the Transpac and let you have those features on a hard backplate. It disperses the weight of the cylinders EVENLY throughout shoulders, waist, and back. It also provides padded comfortable shoulders with quick release buckles on both sides.
- HARNESS - BACKPLATE - DELUXE
BC1080
This is one step up from a basic harness but provides the pivoting D-rings for a little more comfort.
- HARNESS - BACKPLATE - DLX QUICK RELEASE BC1080Q
(I´m Not considering TransPac or the "basic harness)
Same as above but with a Quick release buckle on left shoulder for easy doffing and donning of gear.

Would also appreciate recomendation on a Wing for these harnesses for doing singles and other for doubles (something that I´m not going to be doing at least for a year or two).
First question...What type of cylinders do you dive?
Venture wing (30lbs lift)for single AL80 or the like
Rec Wing (51lbs lift) if you want one aircell that could accomodate both single tank and doubles up to smaller steel tanks
Classic Wing (59lbs lift) is ideal for Doubles only diving

Would appreciate also all the info (doesn´t matter how basic it may sound) that explains thoroughly the differences between them. (for instance, are any of these a"hog" harness?? or all of them have the quick release buckles?? don´t mind the quick release since I don´t do DIR.
A "Hog" or Hogarthian harness is another name for the Basic harness.
This is "Old school" technology that focused on getting the job done but did not take comfort into consideration very much. Still a good way to dive but not for everyone.

Thanks a lot.
You are welcome,
Geoffrey

Geoffrey:
A "Hog" or Hogarthian harness is another name for the Basic harness.
This is "Old school" technology that focused on getting the job done but did not take comfort into consideration very much. Still a good way to dive but not for everyone.
Geoffrey

1 - So DR Basic harness is a Hog one, am I correct?
2- Is the venture a more strimlined than the Rec?? (I only dive Al cilinders, no steel around this area).

Thanks again for your input :blinking:

There's no such a thing as a "Hog harness", in and of itself. Any harness that fits your NEEDS, and doesn't have any added features that do not fit your NEEDS can be considered "Hog", in its ideal.

The "Hog" harness as used by many for cavediving is one solid piece of webbing. If you are not cavediving, your needs will be different. Meaning, that there are NEEDED advantages in some diving profiles for having a harness with quick-release buckles, especially if your diving profile demands that you might NEED to get out of your rig quickly in an emergency.

One more question,pls.

If I get a transplate harness with a venture wing (wich i´m leaning towards), Will this be enough for doing singles, or will a need a "solo strap" or a add-on stap to secure the tank in place?? (doing singles only at this time), and how important would a crotch strap be if doing recreational diving only (tropical waters, max depth 110ft or so, Al tanks, 3mm suit shorty)

leousb:
One more question,pls.

If I get a transplate harness with a venture wing (wich i´m leaning towards), Will this be enough for doing singles, or will a need a "solo strap" or a add-on stap to secure the tank in place?? (doing singles only at this time), and how important would a crotch strap be if doing recreational diving only (tropical waters, max depth 110ft or so, Al tanks, 3mm suit shorty)

Hi there,

The Venture Wing/Transplate sounds like a good fit for you, and yes will be fine for singles of any sort (AL or steel). I'm not sure I know what you mean by solo strap.... what secures the tank in place are cam straps. You will need two of them. I would recommend asking for part number BC2035, as this is a set of cam straps along with two assembly screws (which you can use to secure your aircell to your BP so that when it's not connected to a tank, it will still hold together nice and neatly like any tradition BC system). I would recommend a crotch strap, as it is a very inexpensive item. If you don't like it, don't use it. I think you will like it however, as it can serve to keep your system in place, especially while doing your entry into the water. Sometimes it can help to keep the tank/reg from hitting you in the back of the head, as well.

Safe diving, Jordan

Thank you very much Jordan.

Searched in DR webpage and did not find part# BC2035, any pointers.

And Please tell me if i'm correct on the following, would this be a complete singles BP/W setup::confused:

• Transplate harness T3200
  • Aluminum backplate BC1034
  • BC1056D Crotch Strap
  • Lumbar Pad BC1035 (know its not "necessary" but guess shoul help comfort a lot")
  • two Camstraps BC2034 (MAIN QUESTION: ARE THESE NECESSARY OR ARE INCLUDED WITH EITHER THE HARNESS OR THE WING ??:confused:) AND Will I need the two assembly screws that you mentioned are included with part BC2035???
  • One Pocket/clipper BC2714 (not necessary either but useful i guess, correct me If I'm wrong)
  • SINGLE TANK ADAPTER BC1090 (AFTER GETTING ALL OF THE ABOVE, IS THIS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY OR NOT??):confused:
Thanks a lot again. (Getting closer to choose my next rig :wink:)

PS: Are scubatoys.com and www.divers-supply.com authorized dealers if dive-rite??

leousb:
Thank you very much Jordan.

Searched in DR webpage and did not find part# BC2035, any pointers.

And Please tell me if i'm correct on the following, would this be a complete singles BP/W setup::confused:

• Transplate harness T3200
  • Aluminum backplate BC1034
  • BC1056D Crotch Strap
  • Lumbar Pad BC1035 (know its not "necessary" but guess shoul help comfort a lot")
  • two Camstraps BC2034 (MAIN QUESTION: ARE THESE NECESSARY OR ARE INCLUDED WITH EITHER THE HARNESS OR THE WING ??:confused:) AND Will I need the two assembly screws that you mentioned are included with part BC2035???
  • One Pocket/clipper BC2714 (not necessary either but useful i guess, correct me If I'm wrong)
  • SINGLE TANK ADAPTER BC1090 (AFTER GETTING ALL OF THE ABOVE, IS THIS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY OR NOT??):confused:
Thanks a lot again. (Getting closer to choose my next rig :wink:)

PS: Are scubatoys.com and www.divers-supply.com authorized dealers if dive-rite??

OK - BC2035 simply consists of quantity two BC2034 cam straps and the two assembly screws. BC2035 is actually cheaper than two times BC2034, so that's the way to go. The assembly screws are not necessary, but only serve to keep your rig together when it's not connected to a tank -- yes they are included in BC2035. The only other thing you may need is a set of weight pockets. The single tank adapter will not be necessary, as you will have slots in your BP which you can run the cam straps through and use with singles. Some people still do prefer the single tank adapter, as they say it is more stable. This may be slightly more stable but it also puts your tank a few more inches away from your back (there is a trade-off for everything).

Little advice: if you will be diving with aluminum tanks, you may want to get the stainless steel backplate, as you won't have to add as much weight to your pockets/belt. I love my S/S BP in this regard -- I combine it with a steel tank and I don't have to wear any weight....no wt pkts, no wt belt...it's glorious. You do have to know what you're doing however, as you won't have any ditchable weight.

-Jordan

Back
Top Bottom