Calling ALL Chicago area divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SDAnderson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
to help prep the Big Mac for sinking!

Chicago's soon-to-be-sunk +200ft. car ferry, the "Straits of Mackinac" is in the final stages of preparation for it's trip to the bottom as a dive and research site.

Cleanup volunteers are needed this weekend!

If you're a Chicago area diver, this is a great opportunity to get familiar with what's going to be a terrific dive site - before it becomes a dive site. Come and get a little dirty, meet divers from all over the area, and be a part of something special.

Your help is needed!

More information about the project, including directions to the site, can be found here.

Hope to see lots of folks there!

Steven

Does anyone know if this ship has been sent to the bottom or not? I am down in Indianapolis but would surely go up to help with this project. It would be a great chance to visit the the furure site before it's death. That way I would have an idea of what rooms I can and cannot fit into...

Jeff

It looks like it will be a lot of fun once it gose down..
Scott

The last update I got was on 21 November from Chuck Miller. According to Chuck, work on the ship has been completed and she's ready to go, pending final permits. Once the final go ahead is received the ship will be sunk as soon as possible. Weather conditions will be a factor, since the Coast Guard will only allow the sinking in less than 3 foot seas. Scheduling the sinking will be difficult this time of year, with lake conditions so unpredictable, and the organizers anticipate a very short window between the "Go" decision and the actual sinking.

The "Official" Mackinac Project website

Bob Schak's Mackinac Cleanup Photos

Steven

It would have been fun to help out on the project and have the opportunity to view the ship inside and out before hand. Oh well mabe next time. Steve, you will have to post here when and if you have a idea of a possible window scheduled for the sinking. I am familiar with the great lakes and her unanounced temper tantrums, so that part I can understand. Just post it if you hear....

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom