What's the Problem with OMS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drewski

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All:

About a month ago I placed an order with my LDS for a butt load of OMS equipment. I'm still waiting for low and high pressure hoses along with a pair of 100 CFT HP cylinders.

According to the LDS, they left "four messages with OMS over the last few days" and "haven't been called back."

Anybody know anything about this? When I ran a LDS we would get "cut off" if we weren't current (net 30) and I wonder if they have the same issue.

Any ideas?

THANKS...

I e-mailed them with a question the other day and got 2 e-mails right back (within 24 hrs). I went to their website for the address. If you need it PM me and I'll send it to you when I get home.

I get the same results from OMS, expect to wait, they seem to back order every thing that I buy from my LDS (valves, tanks, lift bags, wings). I don't buy any OMS stuff now unless I don't care to have it for a few months.
jc

Well, since OMS was re-branding PST tanks (no longer in business) I'm sure it'll be a while before you get your tanks. As for hoses, why did you order those from OMS? Anyone can source those and have them overnight.

OMS uses the same suppliers for much of their gear that we see here in our area, puts their name on it, charges triple the price, and people line up to buy it. I just don't get it.

I was talking to someone today who was shopping backplates. This persons local shop was charging $250 for an OMS backplate. That's laughable. Even Halyon, who everyone says is overpriced, doesn't charge more than $125 for a bare backplate. Most people are charging $75-$100.

Good luck with your order, but heck if I'd be paying double or triple prices for exactly the same gear. And then waiting for it...

Ditch the order and get stuff from vendors who cares. As an instructor, it behooves you to use and wear gear that is actually delivered in a timely manner.

When I was looking for a BP/W setup, the LDS said they can get OMS stuff, but they've had poor luck trying to actually get ahold of them. The LDS is also an authorized dealer for DiveRite and OxyCheq though, so I went with an OxyCheq setup.

Hi Guys:

Just a follow-up. First, thanks for the advice.

Before I bought OMS gear, I took a careful look at it compared to other stuff including Diverite. I liked the design and the "beefiness" of the equipment along with it's simplicity.

I called OMS yesterday and spoke to somebody in ordering. She told me that my HP hot dip tanks were way back ordered and probably not available until 2007 because "the factory that makes them is in the process of moving." She also said the hoses were coming.

I should note that I found out in 5 minutes what was going on. For some reason my LDS couldn't tell me that in 1 month.

I settled for the painted version of OMS HP tanks. The LDS had one in stock and was "expecting" another shortly. I didn't particularly want to buy from them after this crap, but my choices were limited because OMS gear is not sold over the Internet by "authorized" re-sellers. In any case I am HAPPY with my gear, I put it all together last night for fit, etc. Time to add water.

Again, THANKS for the help...

PerroneFord:
I was talking to someone today who was shopping backplates. This persons local shop was charging $250 for an OMS backplate. That's laughable. Even Halyon, who everyone says is overpriced, doesn't charge more than $125 for a bare backplate. Most people are charging $75-$100.
The suggested retail of an OMS backplate is not $250. Perhaps the issue is with that particular LDS and their markups.

What is the MSRP of an OMS SS backplate? No one nears me sells one so I am curious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom