School Scuba Club Needs Help...Please Read

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

booth22

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Yes, this does pertain to scuba...please read :D

Hey everyone, not sure if you are aware of a great tax credit program the state offers to all Arizona tax payers. The state offers a dollar-for-dollar tax credit to anyone who donates to a public school's after-school program. If you donate by Dec. 31st this year, when you file taxes, that money will come straight off how much you owe the state or be added to how much the state is giving you back. You have to pay state taxes anyway...why not direct that money exactly where you want it to go?!?!

We (Kris & Mindy) are starting a scuba club for the kids at Mindy's school (Wilson Elementary in Mesa). We will meet with kids (they are in 4th-6th grade and we have 30-35 already signed-up) once a week to teach them about marine life & oceanography...that is what Mindy's school website is for...the one with all the pictures & videos. In a couple months we will be offering scuba certification for the kids who are in the club and this is where we can use your help! As we all know, this is not the cheapest activity and most of the kids won't be able to afford this without donations. We would greatly appreciate anything you are willing to give!!! The tax credit cap is at $200 for individuals and $400 for couples.

If you can't donate money, we are also in need of any equipment...especially mask, snorkles & fins for the pool sessions.

To donate money online, go to: to http://www.mpsaz.org/main2/eca/index.html Choose to donate online and when prompted, select “Wilson Elementary” and “Diving – 8311”. Fill in the amount and compete the payment information.

For more information, you can PM us. We have also attached a flyer we've been handing out & one with frequently asked questions about tax credits.

Thank you so much for your time! We appreciate any support and just remember...by donating to this, you are making the state pay for kids to learn to dive...what a great gift!

Ok... we'll, the upload function isn't working so I've had to cut and past our flyer, minuse the snazzy graphics, and the FAQ page on tax credits. Thanks again!!!

Here's the flyer----------------------

The students at Wilson Elementary in Mesa want to learn more about life underwater and WE NEED YOUR HELP! We are starting an after-school club so we can study marine life and oceanography. In addition, a local dive shop is offering to work with us to certify the students who are over the age of 10 to be Junior SCUBA Divers. This is where you come in. We need help funding our classes, equipment and open water dives. We feel these things will greatly help our understanding of aquatic life and they will be experiences we’ll never forget…not to mention, our certification will be good for the rest of our lives.

Here’s what your money will go towards:
• Materials, classroom sessions & pool session ($99 per student)
• Masks, snorkels & fins (about $100 per student)
• Open water certification dives. ($199 per student)
• We want to hold pool sessions once a month to practice & learn new skills.
• An end of the year field trip to California to dive, visit the tide pools and an aquarium. This is where we get to apply the things we have been learning.

2 Ways to Donate:
• Online: go to http://www.mpsaz.org/main2/eca/index.html Choose to donate online and when prompted, select “Wilson Elementary” and “Diving – 8311”. Fill in the amount and compete the payment information.
• Or, fill out the form on the back page and mail it in.

Here’s the best part:
The money you donate is a dollar for dollar tax credit. That means, for people paying Arizona State Taxes, the money you donate is returned to you at tax time. An individual can get a credit up to $200 and a couple filing jointly can get a credit up to $400. So, not only are you helping children have an experience they otherwise would not be able to have; you get your money back!

The following pages have more information on how to donate as well as frequently asked questions about tax credits.

FAQ Page-----------------------------------

Frequently Asked Questions
What is a tax credit?
A tax credit is a dollar-for-dollar reduction in the actual tax owed. For example, if you owe $800 in state income taxes and you donate $400 to a public school for extracurricular activities, you may subtract the $400 from your tax bill and pay the state just $400.
What is an extracurricular activity?
Extracurricular activity means any optional, non-credit educational or recreational activity that supplements the education program of the school. Activities such as sports, visual and performing arts, special programs, character building, field trips, clubs, outdoor education, gifted programs, or classroom enrichment programs can be funded with tax credit money. Extracurricular activities help children develop qualities such as leadership, team play, and cooperation, as well as, provide safe, supervised activities after school hours.
Who is eligible?
This tax credit is available to all Arizona individual taxpayers regardless of whether or not they have children in school. An individual can contribute and receive a tax credit for any amount up to $200, or a couple filing jointly can contribute up to $400.
Does all of my money go to extracurricular activities?
Yes, 100 percent of your donation goes directly to the schools for extracurricular activities that benefit students by enriching campus life and learning. None of the money is used for overhead.
Can I designate where I want my money to go?
Yes, you can say where you want your donation to go. You can choose your child's school or an extracurricular activity that they participate in. You can choose a school based on student poverty, type of activity, grade levels or location. If you want to donate to a school or an activity where not all parents can afford to contribute, you may do this.
Do I have to donate the full $200 or $400?
No, you may donate up to your $200 or $400 limit in installments during the calendar year or donate it at one time.
Do I have to live within the Mesa Public Schools District?
No, Any individual who pays Arizona State income tax can donate.

It's NEVER too early!
You can start making contributions to your Year 2006 Arizona School Tax Credit at any time. We have two options:
2006 Tax Credit Contribution Form : Download the 2006 Tax Credit Contribution form in Word format or Adobe Acrobat format. Print the form and mail to the address listed on the form.
Online Tax Credit Contribution: You may also make a tax credit contribution online. The link will take you to a secure site. Your tax credit receipt will be mailed to you.
We do our best to ensure that your donation is used for the purpose(s) you specify. But if for some reason your donation cannot be used for that activity, such as when a field trip or a performance is cancelled the school will use your money to support another worthwhile activity.
If you have any questions regarding your tax donation, please call 480-472-0133.
Drop-off Locations and Deadlines:
63 E. Main St.
Lobby drop box
Hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays through Friday, Dec. 29th
(Closed Monday Dec. 25th and Tuesday Dec. 26th)

For more information or to donate online:
http://www.mpsaz.org/main2/eca

Anybody interested or willing to help? Anyone have any questions about the dollar for dollar tax credit that I can help answer?

The tax credit that booth22 is referring to is a state tax credit given to individual tax payers that donate money to the school of their choice. The school then uses it for whatever extra activity they want. Scuba Sciences does work with two high schools. They offer classes and equipment at reduced prices. They DONT gain whatsoever from that tax credit. That tax credit is for the individual giving the money.
It's the states way of encourging the public to give money to the school instead of raising taxes.
I make my living by doing taxes.

KazInAz:
The tax credit that booth22 is referring to is a state tax credit given to individual tax payers that donate money to the school of their choice. The school then uses it for whatever extra activity they want. Scuba Sciences does work with two high schools. They offer classes and equipment at reduced prices. They DONT gain whatsoever from that tax credit. That tax credit is for the individual giving the money.
It's the states way of encourging the public to give money to the school instead of raising taxes.
I make my living by doing taxes.

How much can you give? Is it a dollar for dollar credit?

Stephen Ash:
How much can you give? Is it a dollar for dollar credit?

There is a limit on donations - $200 for an individual or $400 for a couple/family. It is a dollar for dollar credit- So if you don't owe any Arizona taxes, you'll get a $200/$400 refund (or whatever amount you donate) and if you owe taxes, your donation will go towards paying the taxes dollar for dollar.

If you have more questions or would like to check exactly what the club is about, feel free to check out the club's webpage by clicking HERE. There are links on the left side of the page with the ECA credit information and forms and you can also view lessons from class and other info.

And/or you can PM us with any questions you have. Thanks!

Arizona law allows taxpayers to receive a tax credit of up to $200 for individual filers and up to $400 for married filers. You can claim the tax credit when filing your 2006 Arizona State Income Tax. The school must receive the funds by December 31, 2006. It is dollar for dollar as Booth22 states.
One rule on qualifying is that the donation must be in the form of cash...not goods.
So donating used scuba gear to Booth22's program would not count for the credit...but it should give you a warm, fuzzy feeling.

For further information please refer to Arizona's state website:
http://www.azdor.gov/brochure/707.pdf
and your tax advisor.

Thanks.

... somehow I missed the info but now I see that Booth22 mentioned it in his OP. Oops! :D

We (my wife and I) just met with about half of the kids and their parents on Friday. They are a great group of kids - very excited about the program, very outgoing, very inquisitive, and ready to dive (pun intended) into this program. We are so excited to be able to be a part of this program (at no financial benefit to ourselves) and can't wait to get in the water with these kids. We are donating money through this program. Everyone should. You can't lose. The money comes back to you and you get the chance to introduce new, young people to a different world. If we're going to conserve this new world for ourselves and these kids, then it needs to start at this age. We may not make all of these kids divers and snorkelers, but we'll at least educate them on the lakes and oceans and, hopefully, get them to commit to saving these precious environments.

Kudos to Kris and Mindy for starting this program! It's only a small section of people, but that's where it starts!

Per request...

I have cleaned this thread up and separated the other banter into it's own thread. If you have any comments, questions or observations please feel free to post them in site support or to PM me directly.

For the record: GREAT GOING GUYS AND GALS! Anytime we can bring Scuba and science of Scuba to young minds we are encouraging the sport we love so dear!

Back
Top Bottom