Travel Wing on a Transplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a Transpac with a Travel wing currently. I also have a Rec Wing that I don't currently use. I just ordered a Transplate to try out the BP/W thing. I understand I can use the Rec wing with the Transplate, but its really overkill for the warm water diving I do. I'd like to use the Travel Wing with the Transplate, but I have heard that's not possible.

Without having seen the Transplate, I don't understand why I could not just use it in similar fashion as with the Transpac. Could I? If not, could I modify the Travel Wing so it would work? Or my Rec Wing is actually new (1 pool dive) is there a way to exchange it for a smaller wing that would work with the Transplate? Thanks.

It is not impossible. If the slots line up OK (it looks like they would) it is possible to built a custom STA that will capture the center straps on the travel wing. Easier solution is the venture wing.

Jarrett:
I have a Transpac with a Travel wing currently. I also have a Rec Wing that I don't currently use. I just ordered a Transplate to try out the BP/W thing. I understand I can use the Rec wing with the Transplate, but its really overkill for the warm water diving I do. I'd like to use the Travel Wing with the Transplate, but I have heard that's not possible.
The main issue is that the Travel wing is not manufactured with center Grommets to attach to a standard backplate system. You may be able to use it with the backplate and camstraps but it was not designed for that.

Without having seen the Transplate, I don't understand why I could not just use it in similar fashion as with the Transpac. Could I? If not, could I modify the Travel Wing so it would work? Or my Rec Wing is actually new (1 pool dive) is there a way to exchange it for a smaller wing that would work with the Transplate? Thanks.
I would not suggest you alter the aircell.
I agree with AWAP...Venture Wing would be your next best bet for diving singles with a hard backplate. It was designed for that.
Hope that helps,
Geoffrey

If you decide to sell the Travel wing, let me know!

This one has had confused me since I started looking at the Dive Rite stuff.

The Travel wing is billed usable with the Transpac, but not with the Transplate. When using it with the Transpac, the only thing that holds it to the system are the cam straps that are threaded through the + pattern of material in the center of the wing. There are no sex bolts to attach it like with other DR wings. First of all, is this a good method of attaching a wing to a BC?

The part I don't understand is why it could not also be attached to the Transplate in the same manner? I'm not going to be using an STA with the Transplate, just cam straps. Could you not just thread the cam straps through the + pattern of material in the center of the wing to acheive the same goal?

I don't understand what the difference is here. Is there a safety concern with the Transplate on this setup and not the Transpac? I'm new to BP/W stuff and there very well could be an issue, but I am not seeing it right off the bat. Thanks in advance.

The slots do not match up -- even if they did, this would not be advisable because the shape of the Travel Wing doesn't match up with a hard BP. It would not be allowed to inflate to its potential because the hard BP would hinder it. The Venture Wing has an inside panel that is of the same shape of the hard BP and the bladder is around that, so it can inflate to its potential.

Cheers

Thanks, that makes complete sense.

Is the Rec Wing/BP setup advisable for single AL80, warm water diving ala Cozumel? Or would it be better to get the Venture wing for that?

Jarrett:
Thanks, that makes complete sense.

Is the Rec Wing/BP setup advisable for single AL80, warm water diving ala Cozumel? Or would it be better to get the Venture wing for that?

That would work, but the Venture wing would be better. It is a singles only wing and is thererfore more streamlined. The Rec Wing is for singles or doubles, and works OK for both, but is not ideal for either. Ideally, you'll have a singles only aircell for single tank diving and a doubles only aircell for doubles diving -- that will make you the happiest in the water column.

Cheers

Thanks for all the info and cool products.

Jarrett:
Thanks for all the info and cool products.

You're very welcome Sir -- it was nice chatting, errr typing with ya.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom