Feeling ripped off by LDS – please advise.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Immense

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was certified about 3 months ago and have absolutely gone head over heels for this sport, I enjoy it more that just about anything I can think of. I have had tried to support my the LDS where I was certified up until last weekend when I decided to complete my gear (BC, Reg and computer) the would not match the prices of another LDS on this stuff and it was a savings of over $300!

Although I saved some cash I still felt a bit guilty about going elsewhere for my gear after all this shop introduced me to diving! So I swung by the shop today to buy a floating dive flag for a lake dive I am doing tomorrow – I knew the flag / buoy had an inflated price but I figured it would be just enough to cover the cost of the brick and mortar storefront and decided to do what I thought the right thing was and again support my LDS. I made my purchase and went about my business for the day.

I just looked the flag / buoy up at leisurepro and its $19.95 compared to the $60.00 I paid at the shop. At this point I can’t help but feel completely ripped off, however as a person of reason I wanted to get fellow SB readers opinion on this before I cut all ties with the LDS that certified me.

Link to the Flag / Buoy I bought:
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUF...l&AdvSrchSortField=Relevance&SortDesc=0&Hit=1

I will not name the LDS where I got the flag out of respect for them.

Your opinions are appreciated

Is there not another shop in your area? if not I strongly recommend scubatoys.com remember that if your shop goes under you may have trouble getting air fills if there is no other shop locally. also when ordering gear be sure to get items from actual dealerships so that you can get your warranty, equipment maintenance program etc. Another thing to think about when buying online vs. local shop is shipping; some of the less reputable internet gear sources will overcharge on shipping to make up for their 'good' prices. good luck!

You are dealing with the same issues that 92% of the newer divers on this board are dealing with.

(Most of the rest own all their own gear or else have pretty much made up their minds, so they're not dealing with anything except for the administrivia...) :wink:

Bottom line is that nearly anything can be purchased at a better price on the web. OTOH, patronizing a local business can pay dividends that are difficult to quantify or put a price tag on - such as that reg that craps out just before your mega-vacation, and you need the tech to turn it around in one afternoon. If you are a steady customer and you've tipped him a sixpack a time or two when picking up your regs, he'll likely find time to get you on your vacation. If not, you may be packing a rental reg.

It isn't an easy decision sometimes, particularly when the difference can run to hundreds of dollars. First step is to see if there is any room for movement on prices. Sounds like you tried that with no joy.

After that,...

My choice is to go with the dive shop when the item of equipment meets two major criteria: (1) it requires periodic maintenance; and (2) fit is critical. Something like a regulator (annual maintenance) or a tank (annual VIP) would fall into the first category. Something like a drysuit or a custom wetsuit would fall into the second. (Plus drysuits need periodic replacement of neck and wrist seals.)

For some folks, the fit of some BCs would be critical (e.g. purchase at LDS,)...whereas for others who use other options the fit is irrelevant (for example, a wing - standard sizes, buy online).

Most everything else I purchase at the least expensive price.

I patronize LDS options for things such as trips, books, or other nitnoid items that are handy such as SS clips, spare parts, tools, etc.

But check online prices before you do so, at the least so that you're aware of what the difference in price is.

For each person the decision will fall somewhere along a continuum running from buying everything online to buying everything at the LDS. Most divers will fall somewhere in between. And most business owners will work with you to some degree, if you are quiet and professional in your approach.

I recognize that the LDS owner can't compete with the online prices. I expect the LDS owner to alter their business model to recognize the fact that I'm unwilling to purchase for $750 apiece two regulators that I can purchase for $300 apiece online. When procurement differences get to be $900.00 or so, there will either be some price accommodation or my LDS can standby for disappointment.

There are too many quality products on the market these days, and too many ways to procure and maintain them, to support an LDS that refuses to acknowledge reality. On the other hand, I will work with them as best I can, because I appreciate the service and the convenience that they offer.

It winds up being a compromise on everyone's part.

Which is to say, it's much like most of the rest of life.

The flag was on sale. It would ordinarily be closer to $40.00. Plus you would have paid S&H. The LDS charged you basically closer to $15-$20 more than the online outlet would have at a standard price. That's the premium you pay to keep the LDS in business. Each diver has to analyze each decision for each item you want to purchase.

Welcome to diving :)

Doc

WHATS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

I left retail years ago because the puplic who has no investment are WHINERS!

I hate to be harsh but do you own a diamond? Go take it to a pawn shop and then tell me who has ripped you off ,the Pawnbroker who offered a low price or the Retail diamond store that sold it to you? Or just maybe you ripped yourself off by having one in the first place. There are enough diamonds to render them worthless.

Small shops have to pay more for there product. low volume stores have to charge more for there product to pay the rent and everything else that goes with it.

LeisurePro is a HIGHVOLUME store that gets breaks on HUGE orders and can afford to sell some of there products at a loss. They are called LOSSLEADERS. I do not know their business model but, maybe they buy other LDS's slow selling stock at a loss for the LDS and re-sell it.

Either way every retail store does their own thing because its their choice to run their buisness their way.

GET OVER IT AND SHOP SOMEPLACE ELSE!!!!

Better yet go open your own store and give everything away at cost and see how long you are in business.

I bought a $35 dollar mask online (leisurepro) then had to pay $21 shipping. Could have bought it locally for $60, so actual savings $4 for buying online.
I think you should support your LDS. Until download air fills from the net at least.

wedivebc:
I bought a $35 dollar mask online (leisurepro) then had to pay $21 shipping. Could have bought it locally for $60, so actual savings $4 for buying online.
I think you should support your LDS. Until download air fills from the net at least.

Typical LP shipping starts at about $7. Not sure how you got charged $21 to ship a mask even if it was going out of the country? If shopping at LP was only saving you $4 why bother, but generally shipping is a wash when one considers sales tax?

There is a reason people are using LP, and it's not because it's saving them next to nothing...

For this item, you got ripped off. For other personal items, that may not always be the case. If your LDS is supporting you, then by all means support them.That is often not the case. They are looking to make as much as they can, and if it came down to it, they are not going to put your kid through college, so why is it your issue where you buy?

I support the LDS in some ways. Training is a good example. I also give them kudos where I can, but I simply can not for most retail items as they are not competitive, and they are not a small shop.

The business model is changing. Most of the goods a lot of LDS sell are made in foreign countries. If they are not stocking US made goods, I'm not going to feel guilty about failing them as they are failing this country. Sounds a bit harsh, but true. It's one reason I dive Zeagle, and Aeris. Made in the USA, and no more expensive vs. goods made in other places where I KNOW someone is getting rich, and they are using cheap labour to increase profit margin.

There are a lot of factors to consider when making a purchase. Price is certainly one, but not the only one.

Bigcape:
NOBODY got ripped off reread my first post!!!!

I read your post. There is no shortage of scuba stores that make good profit competing with LP. If you doubt this, then visit ScubaToys, or even most dealers in the Denver market.

I seriously doubt LP is giving anything away, but they are high volume. However if they can sell an item at $20 that someone else is selling for 3x the cost than they are just better at their business.

The internet has really leveled the playing field. A store in a small market with less overhead can do well compare with a store in NYC which is where LP is based. If people don't see the economics of that, then they need to get a better education. LP is not in business because they have cheap real estate in a farm town. They work out of one of the most expensive markets in the world, and they do have a store front, so why can't others compete?

They also buy most of their product from authorized LDS's? So if they can do that, they are not getting better prices vs. other LDS's, they are in an expensive market, and they beat most of the competition all with the disadvantage of no authorized service.

Seems to me that LDS's are just angry, but what R they angry about? Obviously it appears to be because even with LP's expensive location, and the disadvantage of non wholesaler distribution, other LDS's can not get their biz working well.

No, I have nothing to do with LP, but one can not fault a good working business model.

Back
Top Bottom