Editing RAW Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ejg62

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I use an Olympus C-5060. Yesterday I shot several pictures in RAW for the first time and used Photoshop Elements to convert into JPEG's. I definetly see the advantages of shooting in RAW. As a newbie in this area I have several questions:

1. What RAW Converters are available? How good is the Adobe version that is with PSE4.0?

2. The Elements RAW Converter has several White Balance defaults included in the pull down menu. Are these options based on each camera (in otherwards does it use the cameras WB presettings) or are these generic WB options available for all camera's?

3. Approx 7.5mb sized files were saved to a 1GB XD card. The recording time was very lengthy. Do the Compact Flashes Type II have faster recording time for the Olympus C series?

Thanks in advance.

Jim G

Jim
I have a C-8080
Saving in raw is very slow, approx 15 secs, to either XD card or micro drive.
I don't think the problem is with the card, it is just a lot of data to push through the interface.

When I was looking Adobe had raw converters for most DSLR's.

I am waiting for someone to answer the WB question, I am just learning how to use photoshop myself.

I used RawShooter premium. It took me a few hours to understand the setup/process of editing/setting white balance/converting -- but once you get that down pat, you can move fairly quickly through all your photos.

My understanding is that most microdrives and xD cards are slower than a good CF. You might pick up a second or two on the write speed with a high speed CF. The other option is the type of xD card you're using. The Type H are MUCH faster than the Type M.

As for white balance, AFAIK those are generic settings. If I need to tweak my white balance in ACR (Adobe Camera Raw), I use the white balance dropper on preferably a medium gray area, or if not, something which should be white. Then use the sliders to slightly adjust the tone and tint. If you want a starting point from the standard settings, I'd start from the "daylight" or "cloudy" settings.

Newer cameras can write faster, which can take advantage of the faster write speeds found on newer cards. I'm not sure if the C5060 can write fast enough to even take advantage of the faster cards should you use one...

I don't use the default WB settings, I just use the eyedropper to click on a neutral color(white, black, grey) to bring the colors back to normal.

I use ACR from PSE4 as well, it works fine, but the reds are a bit off at times - not too much of a problem UW luckily :wink:

Write time to a H - type xD card should be faster than a M type with the 5060 . Come to think of it I haven't tried the H type in my 5060 yet - I will give it a go later and let you know. I only have CF Utra II cards - will test them later as well - gotta go do some work now.

Have a look here - http://www.molon.de/5060/writetime/

I have a c-8080 and I can't say anything about editing raw pictures (since it takes that 15 secs to save the picture as Victor pointed out) but what I can say is that the bottle neck in 8080 is the bridge. It just can't transfer data at any faster rate. So buying a new expensive fast whatever memory card is useless. Even those basic cf cards can store data faster thatn 8080 can output it. There are some test results on the web but I don't have those links at the moment. You should be able to google them. You propably have the same problem with 5060 meaning it just can't transfer data from ccd to card at any faster rate.

when using ORF. files use the olympus software or make sure your plugin can do orf. or the pictures will be noisy and look very bad.

camerasunderwater:
when using ORF. files use the olympus software or make sure your plugin can do orf. or the pictures will be noisy and look very bad.

Sheesh I'd say!! I just started trying to edit my .orf files in Photoshop CS and downloaded the newest Camera Raw for it and I was like ***. This is worse than my jpgs. I'll try the Oly software and see how that works hopefully it's alot better otherwise am I doing something wrong shooting raw?

rhyz:
Sheesh I'd say!! I just started trying to edit my .orf files in Photoshop CS and downloaded the newest Camera Raw for it and I was like ***. This is worse than my jpgs. I'll try the Oly software and see how that works hopefully it's alot better otherwise am I doing something wrong shooting raw?

hehehe... no that's normal... think about it. the RAW file you are viewing is the UNPROCESSED picture. When you look at a jpg from your oly, it is showing you the results AFTER your camera has processed it into a jpg using whatever settings you have used in your camera, such as auto white balance, color adj, curves, contrast, brightness, etc. Editing in RAW allows you to control these settings instead of the camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom