olympus camedia c-450

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mampsa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys,

I'm considering purchasing a 1 and 1/2 year old olympus camedia c-450. Since i have no clue on cameras, i was hoping if any of you underwater photo afficionados have tried using this or got any good/bad feedback about the camera. The guys asking price is 12,000php or about 237USD with the underwater housing.

Do you think this is a good buy? I dont plan to get into the SLR thing, just need a camera for normal recreational diving. ...or do you guys think I can get better deals in ebay or the internet. ANy input on the said topic will help a lot.

Thanks

Check the specs on this camera. I don't believe it has Manual White Balance capability.

It is important to have this feature in order to take good photos without the flash otherwise you will have blue photos. Having RAW mode would alleviate the need for Manual White Balance but this camera does not have RAW.

You also have to have manual control over the shutter speeds and lens (F stops).

These are basic features for taking good underwater photos with a point-and-shoot camera.

You also would be buying older technology. Newer models have better battery power consumption, larger monitors which are important underwater, better processors, etc.

Gilligan:
Check the specs on this camera. I don't believe it has Manual White Balance capability.

It is important to have this feature in order to take good photos without the flash otherwise you will have blue photos. Having RAW mode would alleviate the need for Manual White Balance but this camera does not have RAW.

You also have to have manual control over the shutter speeds and lens (F stops).

These are basic features for taking good underwater photos with a point-and-shoot camera.

You also would be buying older technology. Newer models have better battery power consumption, larger monitors which are important underwater, better processors, etc.

Thanks for the advice. Ok i will re consider. Can you recommend a good enough point and shoot camera around the same price range with housing. Maybe i'll be lucky and find it on ebay. :)

What about canon p&s cameras? You propably could find some good used a-series cameras from e-bay. Those have all the manual controls you need. I started up with canon powershot a-70. I was very pleased with what it could do. There seems to be a good selection of powershots and housings in ebay in your price range.

I agree with kapula.

It will cost you around $500 to $600 to get a new camera and housing.

My only disappointment with Canon is they have removed RAW from all their newer point-and-shoot cameras.

If you go new and want RAW check out the Fuji E900. The Ikelite housing for it is $300.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom