Lake Mohave Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phatso-29

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A group of us are going up to Mohave on the 20th. I am trying to find out if anyone knows what the temps and conditions are up there. we are going to try to get as deep as possible (viz allowing).Rough idea is fine.

I'm heading to Vegas this morning with a Mohave dive planned for this afternoon. I'll let you know this week when I get back. The vis is usually about 20-25' even at depth. The water temp should be in the 70s right now. Where are you planning on diving and what are you looking for at depth? The most interesting thing I've seen at Mohave so far is the school bus at about 55'. I've been 80' down looking for the river bed, but didn't make it (diving with a single tank buddy and had to turn). The deepest the lake gets is about 100' and that's at the river bed. Right now it's probably about 90-95' because the lake level is a few feet down.

Great!!!!!!!!!!
We are going to dive on the bus and the van with doubles, then the plan is to head out as deep as we can go. Looking forward to your update

Water temp 72 degrees with a slight thermocline (3-4 degrees at most) at about 54 feet. Visibility was the best I've ever seen it at Mohave. We had about 30 feet of vis the first 30 feet of depth or so. Vis did cut down a little as we lost light. The lake level is down about 10 feet. This puts the bus at about 20 feet deep and the bus at about 45-50 feet deep. That's also going to give you a max depth of about 90 feet in the river bed. It's pretty barren down there, though. But to get to it, just head down from the bus along the slope until you find the south wall of that cove. Turn right and follow that wall towards the river bed. You'll be swimming for a while. It's closer to the Nevada side of the lake than the Arizona side. Most of your swim should be at about 75 feet here. You should come up to a small bush with a boat ladder tangled in it on your left as you head out. If I remember right, there will be a buoy line shortly before that too. I think that's the buoy that's farthest out from the cove. Have fun on your dive.

Sounds awesome, so we should be good in a 3mil and hood then? Or would a 7mil be better.
I will be sure to post a report on it , thanks for all the info.

It depends. I prefer 7mm in 72 degrees, but my dives tend to last an hour or more.

Finally got up to Mohave last weekend. Let me start by saying to anyone doing certs or looking to get some dives in water with better viz then Pleasent, go there. The lake has alot of things to offer, we got to see the bus, van and the ski boat (the is debate over what kind of boat it is). We tried to find the cabin cruiser and coffin but came up short.
On the first dive winds were gusting making the water choppy. Water temp was about 65 and only got down to maybe 62. Started out by doing a swim through the bus, we were going to try to simulate a slit out in it but there was another group of divers that start ascending on it so we left it as it was. Then we headed out to find some depth, got down to about 75 feet and still had great viz and light. We would of went deeper but man the bottom is enough to put you to sleep. Careful the bottom looks sandy but it is nothing but jelloand silt, so bouyancy control is really important. Swam back to the van and swam through it.
Second dive we tried to cove to the north with the boat sunk in it. It was ok the viz wasn't as good and we didn't find anything other then the boat (it's a little boat so no penetration).
All in all it was a great location to get some variety in your dives.

Dive 1:
7mm full wetsuit
Reef gloves
3/5 hood
Double Al. 80's
Max. Depth 72ft.
Temp 62
Total Dive Time 65 mins

Dive 2:
7mm full wetsuit
Reef gloves
3/5 hood
Single Al. 80
Max. Depth 65ft
Temp 65
Total Dive Time 32 mins

Sounds like a good time. This is the first I've heard of a cabin cruiser and coffin. Do you have anymore information on these?

Back
Top Bottom