We Got Lucky In Molakai at the Molakia Hoe!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
JB and I decided to "go for it" and cross the channel to Molakai because the conditions were great. I always have a little psychiatric episode about an eighth of a mile out...the washing machine off Oahu's southeast corner. After that, it smoothed out and we rolled into Molakai about three hours later in time to grill some chops off the back of the boat and bed down in the harbor where many of the paddlers and support boats also were awaiting the morning race line-up.

We met some Oahu friends and then were approached by the Lanikai paddling team which was the two-year defending champions of the Molakai Hoe, the 44 mile canoe sprint accross the channel into Waikiki. Their support boat "tender" had engine troubles and they offered us a fat check to take over the job....we said "oh..if we have to! It was a fun day and the "changes" were very amazing as the team switches out their paddlers as called by the coach. They let me get in the water and get some shots. I had dive gear but just wore the eclipse inflated and fins. I see why the surf photogs wear helmets!

Great job done by the team Lanikai who were beat by the Tahitians, sponsored on a substantive scale by Shell Oil. Word has it the paddlers are paid to train and race.
The Outrigger canoe club also edged out Lanikai by assessing an outgoing tide and cutting off course into my backyard and avoiding the big suck out in the bay.

Australians fared well although I haven't seen the paper this morning. About 100 canoes paticipated and countries were represented from all over the world. It was very exciting to be alongside of the defending champions and watch them gut this out!

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0162.jpg

DSC_0238.jpg

collage-5.jpg

collage1-1-1.jpg

Glad you went! I was wondering and left you a message on Saturday.

What about the diving?

well...we did not get a chance to dive!

We can be bought, I guess.

JB really had fun which was great since he will not have as much time to use the boat as he thought when he bought it. He was so thrilled with the fuel efficiency.

Yes, I got up at six to brush my teeth and putz around with the french press and my Kona grounds and there were all these guys standing there waiting to put their paddles and bags on the boat. Not only did I not get to dive, I did not even get my eggs! Helicopters about 50 feet over our heads at times. That is the job I want.

I really learned a lot about the tacticle side of their races... I think it got our confidence up a bit seeing how the boat handles in the channel. It is very different to be out there with so much "company" as opposed to all alone, you know?

Sounds like a really fun weekend.

catherine96821:
I got up at six to brush my teeth and putz around with the french press and my Kona grounds and there were all these guys standing there waiting to put their paddles and bags on the boat.

A bunch of good looking paddlers standing around at 6 am - not a bad way to start the morning! :wink:

The changes they do with team members are pretty amazing - got to have some serious coordination, I think.

My brother in law has a single man outrigger canoe, which he paddles on a regular basis. I've always been intrigued by paddling, but I think it requires more balance and coordination than I possess.

Nice pix the more I see of Hawaii the more i think I would love living there

Divedoggie:
Those are GREAT shots!
You guys have quite the life!

thanks! yes, we do, during the "war breaks".

Cheryl, yes, those guys are quite studly. But they are serious atheletes so I did not ask them to paddle with their shirts off. :)

catherine96821:
Cheryl, yes, those guys are quite studly. But they are serious atheletes so I did not ask them to paddle with their shirts off. :)
You are so considerate! You also showed remarkable restraint. :wink:

Love your pics, Catherine!

Wow! So I saw you come in from my yard! Very cool! I found myself wondering if you were a support boat for some reason. I didn't even know you were going to Molokaii this weekend.

sea nmf:
Wow! So I saw you come in from my yard! Very cool! I found myself wondering if you were a support boat for some reason. I didn't even know you were going to Molokaii this weekend.

we did not know either!

you must have a good view.

Yea, Chantal, it is important not to objectify the atheletes. That always leads to lawsuits and trouble.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom