motion sickness while freediving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Earl E. Retire

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure why, but I recently started freediving (for bugs) and have experienced nasty nausea feelings after about 5-10 mins in the water. Swell was only about 2ft, but seemed like I was feeling every little ripple. I fish offshore and never seem to have a seasick problem. Should I try taking a drammamine (sp?) before diving next time?

EER

Before you do that, think about whether its related to clearing your ears. In short, are you having some vertigo, or is it just the run-of-the-mill seasick nausia? If it's related to clearing your ears, see a doc to ensure that you don't have a middle/inner ear problem.

If it is just seasickness, once you get used to the motion, it may go away. So try it a few times again, and try not to inhale any motorboat fumes, as they really affected me for seasickness. Also, try not to get overheated. The three (engine fumes, overheating, and the sea's motion) really do it for me too.

If it is related to clearing your ears, that may also go away with time, as your ears get used to the pressure changes.

Good luck,

SeaRat

Watch out for swaying plantlife. If the plants are swaying opposite to your percieved motion it wil throw you for a loop. Sometimes I just close my eyes for a moment.

How is your eyesight? If you are in need of a prescription mask (or contacts) the eye strain can get the best of you.

A 1/4 tablet of the non-drowsy formula taken well in advance helps me a lot

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom