Data Pro Plus strange behaviour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aeolus

Reaction score
I recently returned from a dive trip to Roatan. I had the battery changed in my computer prior to the trip. It looked like it was working just fine. When I arrived at the location, I was allowed to make a dive immediately. After I got on the dive boat I was checking my gear and noticed that the computer was active. It indicated that I was at 8-9 feet and almost half way up on the nitrogen loading chart. I could not get it to go into the setup mode or change to anything else.

Since the pressure was reading OK, I decided to continue on the dive only using the computer as a pressure indicator and subtracting the 8-9 fsw from the depth. I would just use my watch for the time and stay within NDL according to the charts. Everything seemed to work OK on the dive. During the time after the dive (overnight), I removed the battery and allowed the unit to reset. This seemed to clear all of the problems and it worked just fine for the rest of the trip.

Anybody have any idea how the computer turned itself on or why it was reading a depth at the surface or why it would not change modes? I wrap the computer in an old t-shirt and carry it with me on the plane in a separate bag. Any danger that this would happen again? Would this occurance greatly decrease the battery life? What should I do from here?

Thanks.

Sounds like the computer was confused from the flight.

You could send it in so we can check it.

Let me know.

Best,

Chris

Hi Cris,

I guess that I reallyanted to know what could ahve caused this stranfg behaviour.

1) How did it get turned on?

2) Why was it reading a depth?

3) Why could I not change anything?

4) What would cause the Nitrogen loading?

5) Will this decrease the battery life?

Aeolus:
Hi Cris,

I guess that I reallyanted to know what could ahve caused this stranfg behaviour.

1) How did it get turned on?

Could have hit the button by accident in your bag or it activated when it sensed a pressure change if you have it set to water activation.

2) Why was it reading a depth?

The pressure transducer or the programing may have been screwed up

3) Why could I not change anything?

It was confused

4) What would cause the Nitrogen loading?

The above

5) Will this decrease the battery life?

Sure, but I really hope you get it back to us and we get you a unit that won't have a mind of its own...

All of my above are a guess without being able to see/test the unit.

Best,

Chris

OK, I guess that I should send in the unit for possible service, even though it seems to be working fine now. :shakehead

What address should I send it to?

Do I need to go through an LDS?

Should I put it to your attention?

Is there an upgrade to the firmware?

Any idea how long this might take or the expense?

Thanks for your help. You can PM me with the answers if you prefer. :)

You can go thru the local Oceanic dealer or call 510-562-0500 ext 226 and get an RA to sent it direct to us.

Our turn around is normally 3 days so it won't take long.

Expense is free if in warranty.

Best,

Chris

Back
Top Bottom