Changing with a Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ralawrence

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi folks

I am diving with a FFM (AGA). Counting on somebody's octo in the event there is a problem is somewhat problematic to say the lease. So I am using a 14 cf pony as a bail-out bottle through an Oxycheq gas switch block fed off the main tank and the pony. Right now I hang the pony from the front of my BC. Certainly not the most efficient system, however, it seems to work for now.

I have found there is seldom a problem in SCUBA somebody has not solved. Perhaps y'all will help with this one. I know there are steel straps for attaching the pony to your tank, however, I sometimes use three or four tanks (steel 100 cf with the rubber boots on the bottom) a day. There has to be a better way. How about y'all giving this some thought and sharing your ideas.

Another problem as long as I am bleating. I dive with a SEAQUEST pro BC and cannot seem to get the tank cinch strap threaded right. Darn tank keeps slipping down as I dive and/or walk to or from entry point. Suggestions would be welcomed.

Scubatoys.com sells pony tank mount where half attaches to your BC tank strap, the other half to the pony itself. There are those that say a pony tank on your back is just asking to get you tangled up in something, but I've never had a problem.

I also dive a Seaquest Pro QD. There should be a diagrahm is the instruction manual to get it threaded right. I took my off to attach the pony tank and had a heck of a time getting it back on right. If you can't find the manual, I know someone has posted instructions with pretty decent pictures on SB. You might try a search.

Hi. Solving the problem of the slipping tank... I bought a buckle style strap after seeing one on a scubapro BC (www.diveriteexpress.com) and it's great. Also, it is inexpensive, something like $15 for the strap w/buckle. They also sell a pony mount that attached to the tank strap. It you switch a lot, just get another tankstrap for the pony mount.... drop it on, snap the buckle shut, and jump in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom