New gear assembly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scram Bulleggs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
As far as attaching hoses to the first stage, anything important to know? Do you use teflon etc? Wondering if it has to be done at a dive shop or can be done at home.

It can be done at home. Teflon - you mean like plumbing tape? No.

But if you just got new gear, the shop should have done this for you anyway, and hopefully check things are tuned and working properly.

Scram Bulleggs:
As far as attaching hoses to the first stage, anything important to know? Do you use teflon etc? Wondering if it has to be done at a dive shop or can be done at home.

You can do it at home. Some people use silicone grease or christo-lube on the o-rings, but it's not necessary.

When you say tuned can you explain. I am very new at diving so things may not make sense right away. It was not gotten from a shop it was got second hand.

I was not sure if it was an o-ring seal or a pipe thread seal. I assumed it could be assembled at home just wanted to double check. I will pick up some lube I think any o-ring that turns should be lubed.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Be careful not to overtighten those fittings. Scubapro spec for torque is 80 inch pounds. That is just a bit more than hand tight.

Just becareful not to cross-thread the fittings and not to overtighten the connection. If you were to overtighten it you could flatten that o-ring and / or twist it out of position.

By tuned, it's just that a new reg that's been sitting in the box for a long time, or a used reg that's been who knows where, might not be adjusted to breath as easily as it could, or it could tend to free flow. Even if they start out right they can drift over time. If you got a second stage or octo that wasn't matched to the first stage the pressure might need to be adjusted to make it work the best.

Probably a new reg wouldn't be much of a problem but a used reg could have a variety of things that need attention. If you buy a reg second hand, it's generally a good idea to get it serviced, or at least checked out. If I bought a reg from someone I knew and trusted, and they told me the reg had recently been serviced I might let it go at that, but a reg from an unknown source I would want to get checked out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom