Editing land vs. uw photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairybasslet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I can edit my topside photos so much more quickly than my underwater photos. I have less problems making decisions about how I want things to look and can generally do the post production in a couple of minutes. But for an uw photo, I agonize and agonize over what it should look like and wind up not getting anything done or hating what I did. Why is that?

you are to picky

:D :wink:

:eek:uttahere

Don't feel bad I do the same thing. Sometimes I spend an hour on a photo and am just as happy with the auto fix end result as the one I torture my self with

fairybasslet:
I can edit my topside photos so much more quickly than my underwater photos. I have less problems making decisions about how I want things to look and can generally do the post production in a couple of minutes. But for an uw photo, I agonize and agonize over what it should look like and wind up not getting anything done or hating what I did. Why is that?
Several factors play into this, first some background and then i'll tell you why I think that is.......

Lighting underwater is much more difficult IMO than on land due to the pecularities of the medium in which we dive in..
  • There is a disconnect rather large in some cases between what our eyes and brain 'see' and what the camera records....
  • Our eyes can compensate for the overall bluish colour cast underwater fairly well, but the camera can't without resorting to manual WB or the introduction of artificial light.
So what this means is that when it comes time to begin editing photos, we're always trying to get the photo to look like what we 'saw'....
And let's not get into the seemingly infinite variations/settings that we can use in Photoshop to work on the photo.

Generally I edit until the image looks or feels right to me, not very scientific, but it works for me :).

I think land is a lot easier because instinctually we know how things are supposed to look.......
Mountains, flowers, people et cetera :).

CheddarChick:
Don't feel bad I do the same thing. Sometimes I spend an hour on a photo and am just as happy with the auto fix end result as the one I torture my self with
:rofl3: Well, I usually start off with autofix to see if I can save myself some torture, but it usually doesn't work.
Love your sig line by the way. Some dude from Toronto told me today that I didn't look old enough to have a 17 yo. What a line.:rofl3:

Jamdiver:
I think land is a lot easier because instinctually we know how things are supposed to look.......
Mountains, flowers, people et cetera :).

I don't know if it's instinct, but I agree... we've been living on land our whole life. It's easy to recall how a mountain should look, or the color or a flower. The color of a sponge, fish, reef, or other underwater thing, is more of a fleeting memory.

Even if you have 1000 dives, it's realistically only about a month's worth of actual time. (if you average an hour each dive) :wink:

fairybasslet:
:rofl3: Well, I usually start off with autofix to see if I can save myself some torture, but it usually doesn't work.
Love your sig line by the way. Some dude from Toronto told me today that I didn't look old enough to have a 17 yo. What a line.:rofl3:
Auto-fix shouldn't work... Auto-fix is OK for topside photos, but underwater photos are different.

What program are you using to adjust your photos?

For me it's because I care more about the u/w shots...

But it is also the lighting issue, color, etc. Cameras were designed to take good topside pics. Their algorhytms (sp?) are designed for topside colors and lighting conditions. Even cameras with an underwater mode are just putting something on top of the basic chip design. Then add in often an artificial light source. I find I spend more time on a topside flash pic than a natural light... so, too, does strobe bring in other considerations underwater.

Don't fight it. Everything about diving is time and $$$ consuming. But we do it because we love it!

howarde:
What program are you using to adjust your photos?
I use PS Elements.

fairybasslet:
I use PS Elements.
I don't know much about elements. Does it have levels? I would manually adjust the color levels under "Levels" to start.

I know there's a couple of tutorials out there. Maybe title a thread called, "help with PS elements" ??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom