Need a printer recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, I'm about the retire my old printer. Looking for a simple printer that does decent A4 photos without breaking the bank ($100-$200 range). Text printing speed isn't a priority as much as photo printing quality. Anybody got recommendations in terms of some of the new printers out from Canon and Epson? Maybe a canon iP5300 or Epson 220

I don't have any brands to recommend but make sure there are some other than brand inks available for that printer. All printer manufacturers that have those good quality cheap printers try to make their money out of selling you half empty ink carts for a high price. So before you make your decision check what'd the usage cost will be and if you're able to by some other inks than printer manufacturers own high priced and possibly very tiny ones :)

I'm in the same boat. The one I'm looking at is the Epson R260. It uses a new type of inks and is said to be very fast. I haven't seen any reviews yet.

DesertEagle:
I'm in the same boat. The one I'm looking at is the Epson R260. It uses a new type of inks and is said to be very fast. I haven't seen any reviews yet.

oops, yes I meant to write the new Epson R260 not the r220. Haven't seen a review yet but looks promising...

pakman:
OK, I'm about the retire my old printer. Looking for a simple printer that does decent A4 photos without breaking the bank ($100-$200 range)....

While everyone needs a home printer, for photos, I'm happy with the service bureau approach. Upload to your local pro or discount development center depending on the requirement and pick up professional prints... They always seem to turn out way better than what the non-professional printers produce.

My best images are printed at BWC: http://www.bwc.net/home.php

For everyday playing around I often use discount services such as Costco and Wolfe for prints up to 8 x 10 or A4 with good results. That said, anything that I want to show off comes from BWC... They do amazing work....

Blue Moon

I've got a Lexmark X3350 and have no problems with it.

Get a printer with separate catridges for each color of ink. That way you replace an ink cartridge only when that particular color is exhausted. Less wasteful.

pakman:
OK, I'm about the retire my old printer. Looking for a simple printer that does decent A4 photos without breaking the bank ($100-$200 range). Text printing speed isn't a priority as much as photo printing quality. Anybody got recommendations in terms of some of the new printers out from Canon and Epson? Maybe a canon iP5300 or Epson 220

I've had several Epson's over the years. Currently a StylusPhoto 960. The Canon is faster, produces slightly better text and is a tiny a bit cheaper but the Epson is the definitive champ for photo reproduction.

I use an Epson R200 since I do lots of DVD copying. I have a contimuous ink system that I got on ebay. It has lines for all six separate tanks, but I got an awesome deal on replacement cartridges so I haven't run it much since I got it.
There are some OUTSTANDING third party ink sources out there like Media Street if you're willing to pay for them. Gorgeous archival stuff - and pricey.
I would love to have a wide platen inkjet printer that did continuous roll feed since I also do a lot of large panoramas and fitting them together gets to be a real pain when they start hitting the 8' length.

I did some research before replacing my old Epson and it looked like the new Canon's were very nice. I bought a Pixma iP6000D and have been REALLY impressed with it. Of course it prints normal stuff well but it is amazing on photo's using Canon photo paper. If you want to save on ink cost, try Inkgrabber.com. The replacment cartridges for the Canon are about $4 each and can be cheaper if you buy them in quantity. I have used the original Canon cartridges and the Inkgrabbers and cannot tell the difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom