dir equipment configuration/ Courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kontiki

Reaction score
im a fairly new diver but just like all the past "things" i got myself into i always would like to start on the right foot so to speak.

after weeks of getting my feet wet literally and figuratively i feel fourtunate to have learned about the DIR philosophy and GUE programs. Not only have my learning curve seem to progress more my thirst for exellence in everything i get into is satisfied ( i have always belived that "if your going to to do something worth doing do it right" )

Hoping this furoms would help augument the limited exposure we have here regarding the DIR way.

To try to start things right please comment on the following gear i recently aquired and my plans in either changing or aquiring additionals.

BC : Diverite TransPacII (Plan to replace with Halycion Pioneer System)

Regs : Beuchat Din Vx10 (need comments on these plus consideration of replacing or aquiring a Apeks atx200)

Spg : Aquamondo on a 24" hose
Backup Second stage : (suggestions please)

Mask : Beuchat ( comments and suggestions Please)

Fins : Scubapro jet fins with spring straps

Wet Suit : (comments and suggestion please)

As for certifications and additional courses i"m taking my advance open water then my next progression seems to be very vauge from the numerous feedbacks i heard some even from people with out personal expercience of thier suggestions.

Your going to get ALOT of comments in regards to this post.
Do a few searches on the equipment you listed. There is a wealth of information here.
Be very thorough on gear selection. If you choose the right rig, it will last you for YEARS. If you go down the wrong path, it will cost you BIG time.
Dont rush into it. The right gear will most likely cost you less than the wrong gear.
DIR is more than gear, its a philosophy. What you are buying is a modified hogarthian rig and applying DIR philosophy to it.
You mentioned GUE courses. Your heading in the right direction. Im sure there will be a flurry of post on what to do as far as courses. Read the advice very carefully and make you OWN decision.
I wont list what I think is the right rig, the answers to your questions are already in this board, "Look and ye will find", and youll learn a heck of alot in the process.
Correct gear selection is not being told what to buy, but understanding what your buying.

Dave

Although I shouldn't admit, I actually owned a TrashPak II. Make sure that's the first piece you replace. Get used to a backplate and don't waste your time with the DiveRite.

I agree, get a BP ASAP. Once you start diving with a BP, you will never go back. You should also consider getting a FredT backplate. I'm not familiar with Beuchat regulators but, I would suggest ScubaPro.

The Beauchat VX10 looks very much like the Apeks DST / TX50. Internals may be the same.

I personally use Apeks but friends who use the Beauchat claim its quite a good reg. Good thing that Apeks in my country is relatively cheap :)

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
Your going to get ALOT of comments in regards to this post.
Do a few searches on the equipment you listed. There is a wealth of information here.
Be very thorough on gear selection. If you choose the right rig, it will last you for YEARS. If you go down the wrong path, it will cost you BIG time.
Dont rush into it. The right gear will most likely cost you less than the wrong gear.
DIR is more than gear, its a philosophy. What you are buying is a modified hogarthian rig and applying DIR philosophy to it.
You mentioned GUE courses. Your heading in the right direction. Im sure there will be a flurry of post on what to do as far as courses. Read the advice very carefully and make you OWN decision.
I wont list what I think is the right rig, the answers to your questions are already in this board, "Look and ye will find", and youll learn a heck of alot in the process.
Correct gear selection is not being told what to buy, but understanding what your buying.

Thanks! i know in the end its me who will decide but id like to have my decision to well informed and through. what im really avoiding is "learning" DIR, etc tru the net. But hey this forums are great.

kon

Dave

As for your equipment questions I'll defer that to others.

Concerning DIR and your location: Contact www.GUE.com or www.FifthD.com directly and ask if there will be any DIR classes in your area.

It makes no sense to me to attempt full compliance with DIR equipment wise if you are missing the most important ingredient: a like minded buddy committed to safety and excellence.

I would make finding such a buddy or even group of buddies your primary focus at this point... then pursue training opportunities... equipment is down the list in importance imo.

I wouldn't be in too big a hurry to replace equipment. IMO, knowlege and skills are the most important ingrediants. You need to know what it should look like and spend enough time in the water to get there. As far as training make sure who ever you go to is teaching good solid skills. I believe GUE does this. There are others who do also but they will be hard to find because the agency name doesn't carry any garantees.

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
You should also consider getting a FredT backplate.

What are the advantages of FredT backplate comparing, let's say with Halcyon? I understand it has more options like heavy or short ones and a bit cheaper. Anything else?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom