Cave Reels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SM Diver

Reaction score
I use cave reels for jugging open water spots that I want to dive. Having weights on the end of the line can eventually break the line. Which reel has the toughest and widest line, and is there a good online source for purchasing cave reels. I normally buy from my LDS, but no one has reels worth a damn around here.

Well, how much line do you need on your reel? Dive Rite makes one that has #36 line on it, and about 330', or 90' depending on the reel. You could get it from Liesure Pro.
From what I recall, all of the Halcyon use a #24 line.

If you can not find one with line thick enough for you, you could always buy a reel, and change out the line with a thicker braided nylon line.

Thanks. The deepest spot I would ever jug might be 160' at the bottom of the ledge (although I wouldn't dive that far down).

Underwater Connections makes great reels, but they don't have a website. You have to call them and they'll send them to you (they are very cost effective and well made) many florida cave divers and instructors use them. Dive Rite reels are good also but I always seem to bend the handles on them!! OMS reels are tough but they seem to jam on me more than others... I would reccomend either UC or dive rite! The rest of the stuff is garbage! The halcyon reels look good but I find them hard to use underwater.

Good luck and happy "jugging"...what is that anyway?

The halcyon reels look good but I find them hard to use underwater.

I find the Halcyon reel to be very easy to use. The handle style is more ergonomic and I have yet to see it jam.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom