Strategies and Willpower

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have lost 28lbs. I was getting married so was very motivated to drop the pounds. Been married 4 weeks almost and still losing but definitely slower now that the pressure of getting into a dress is gone :D
We went on our honeymoon to Cozumel for 7 days and I was sure that I would gain a few while there but I was surprised I actually lost 3 lbs there. Guess it was the fact we dove every day got in 2 dives and on one day 3. Walked around town every single night. Usually got back from diving about 1:30 so only ate a light lunch to hold me over till dinner. Don’t know if you are like me but my husband is a light weight so can eat what ever he wants at 11pm at night and doesn’t faze him in the slightest. So he just doesn’t get it. Its hard work. Congratulations on all the loss, I hope I can get there. I still have 15 to go.

Stacy

Stacy, I can completely relate to the husband thing.... Here I am trying to watch what I eat, and the boyfriend is constantly talking about fast food and pop and chips and ice cream and chocolate....sigh. Although I've attempted to explain that this makes it even harder for me to say "no" to that kind of thing, it continues.... If I don't have the stuff around and I'm not reminded about it, it's easy to say no. But the power of suggestion, or the convenience of it being on hand is hard to over come at times. Maybe he'll read this and get the hint?

eckybay:
Stacy, I can completely relate to the husband thing.... Here I am trying to watch what I eat, and the boyfriend is constantly talking about fast food and pop and chips and ice cream and chocolate....sigh. Although I've attempted to explain that this makes it even harder for me to say "no" to that kind of thing, it continues.... If I don't have the stuff around and I'm not reminded about it, it's easy to say no. But the power of suggestion, or the convenience of it being on hand is hard to over come at times. Maybe he'll read this and get the hint?

In our house I do the shopping so I buy him snacks I don’t like. Then he eats it after I go to bed. He likes to snack at night and i go to bed about 10 so that works out well for us. Sometimes he brings snacks in and I get all over him because he doesn’t buy things I don’t like. He thinks I should just have better will power. Of course someone that has never had a weight issue would think that :rofl3: I found once I compromised by saying ok you can have that but when I am not around or get something I don’t like. I would get low fat snacks or diet stuff and eat that when cravings hit. Like he would have his ice cream and I would have the dryers low fat. There are some really good ones. I like the weight watchers blue berry muffins. Those are pretty good and he always likes to eat at McDonalds on the way out of town or to go diving. So i bring one of my muffins and eat that while he eats his. That way I don’t feel like I am totally punishing myself. The trick is to not totally go with out. Just with in moderation. The deal is if you eat something bad you have to exercise an extra 30 min for it. I found when I told myself that, I ate a lot less bad stuff :D

Also another trick that workes for me is I am not a loud to eat snacks sitting down. Meals yes not snacks. That way I am not temped to eat a whole bag of chips sitting in front of the TV etc. So I would eat standing up. Ice cream stand in the kitchen with your spoon and the container. Dont dip it up, you actually eat less. I would eat maybe 4-5 spoons then put it up and walk away.

Stacy

Good idea on the snack thing - I hate Fritos, for example, so those will be allowed! :D
I'm allergic to Splenda, and so many of the low-fat sweets use that as a replacement.
I do like the skinny cow brand ice cream treats and I found a yummy cherry chocolate chip frozen yogurt that I can get locally... I try to keep some of the healthier granola bars, dried apple chips, stuff like that around for when I get the munchies.

I have a pet peeve about people eating straight from the container - there's stuff in saliva that breaks down food, so stuff doesn't keep as long. I do often use smaller bowls for ice cream or get the single serving snacks.

another huge thing I do is. Gum, every time I want a snack but not really hungry just want something in my mouth I eat gum. I go through a pack a day but at work sitting in front of a computer all day. Let me tell you it works great. Keeps my mouth busy and I find that I dont eat as much that way. I eat lots of gum :D My husband tells me how much my face has thinned out and I contribute that to all the gum I eat. I go to Costco and buy it by the box. :D

Stacy

eckybay:
I have a pet peeve about people eating straight from the container - there's stuff in saliva that breaks down food, so stuff doesn't keep as long. I do often use smaller bowls for ice cream or get the single serving snacks.

Good point about the container. Funny thing is so do I, Ice cream is the only thing I do that with. More of a claiming it as mine type of thing. :D I have 3 teenage kids and diet or not its gone. So if I eat out of it they leave it alone and eat my husbands ice cream :wink:

Dive 'N' Dolphin:
More of a claiming it as mine type of thing. :D I have 3 teenage kids and diet or not its gone. So if I eat out of it they leave it alone and eat my husbands ice cream :wink:

That classic!
If I thought it would work, I'd try it.

eckybay:
That classic!
If I thought it would work, I'd try it.

If I had boys that might not work. :wink: I have 3 girls 17,16 & 12 so needless to say they get all grossed out. The trick is soon as I bring it home I pop the lid off and grab a spoon. They all go yuck mom and its all mine :D My husband wont touch anything will the word low fat or diet in it so its all good.

Well done everybody, keep up with the good work!!!

One thing everybody forgets is water! Drink plenty! I get bored of drinking a simple glass of water and started with the flavoured water drinks. That was a mistake, ever look at the labels? To add flavour to your water, cut up lemons, lime, etc and put a slice in your glass. Breaks up the day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom