Delta 4 frustration.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meister481

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a big fan of my Delta 4 reg, as many of my posts have stated, but I'm quite miffed at how much it costs to buy a 7' hose. It's a totally proprietary system and is very expensive to purchase a hose that fits the odd sized port. I'm going to be out 180+ dollars to put 2 hoses on $900 worth of regs.

I'm a big believer in capitolism and I'm all for Oceanic trying to make some money, but at this point I'm ready to cut bait and sell my regs on ebay and purchase some dive rite regs that I can buy standard parts for. I cannot buy spare parts for my current regs in case of a failure at the dive site, and that's another problem for those of us who choose to go against the grain and use Oceanic products for technical and excursion diving. I'd really hate to have to relegate these regs to deco bottle use only.

I realize you as an employee cannot set prices but you can guide those above you to make the right choice.

LDS had to machine something for use on his flow bench. I believe they make a fitting but it's proprietary as well.

I had a bunch of LP hoses laying around so when I went to long hose configurations I bought a few connectors for connecting 2 LP hoses on ebay for about $7 each. Then simply add the appropriate length LP hose to the Oceanic hose and you will be in business. It will also allow you to go custom length (I found a 5'4" hose worked better for me than the std 5 footer. It also puts another swivel point which I find handy.

Hmm.. The problem is not at the first stage... it is with the inline swivel at the second stage. It probably cost a pretty penny to get an "irregular" size hose made with that swivel. You see the same thing with the Atomic regs. You can save some money by using a standard 7 foot hose without the swivel. (You don't need a swivel with the long hose anyways.) I do believe that you will need an adapter to connect the hose with the second stage but those are cheap.

Of course, the bummer is, you pretty much have to pay for that fancy hose and swivel that comes standard with the reg. You might be able to order a bare first stage but I've never seen a second come without a hose.

I don't remember if the Delta 4 FX10 first stage uses a standard 3/8" port or if it has one 1/2" port for use with the primary. If it has a 1/2" port you will also need to get a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter or just order a 7 foot hose with the 1/2" threads.

I bet you could do all of that for less than $55 per reg.

Stephen Ash:
Hmm.. The problem is not at the first stage... it is with the inline swivel at the second stage. It probably cost a pretty penny to get an "irregular" size hose made with that swivel. You see the same thing with the Atomic regs. You can save some money by using a standard 7 foot hose without the swivel. (You don't need a swivel with the long hose anyways.) I do believe that you will need an adapter to connect the hose with the second stage but those are cheap.

Of course, the bummer is, you pretty much have to pay for that fancy hose and swivel that comes standard with the reg. You might be able to order a bare first stage but I've never seen a second come without a hose.

I don't remember if the Delta 4 FX10 first stage uses a standard 3/8" port or if it has one 1/2" port for use with the primary. If it has a 1/2" port you will also need to get a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter or just order a 7 foot hose with the 1/2" threads.

I bet you could do all of that for less than $55 per reg.

Guess I will stick to my Apeks :D

ianr33:
Guess I will stick to my Apeks :D

Yah... me, too. But ya know some of the Apeks regs come with the 1/2" port. 'Course they don't come with the fancy swivel.

The swivel on the Oceanic is very nice, BTW. It's essentially a Kirby Morgan and it won't fall apart like a lot of the cheap ones. Unfortunately, us long hose guys just can't use it.

Oops... I just realized that we are in the Oceanic Forum. Forget everything I said... it was probably wrong anyways. I'm sure that cerich will be along soon.

Opps.. good catch Stephen. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom