Cold/Ice water recovery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
I am interested in getting into ice and water recovery. I live in Minnesota. I understand it can be profitable AND you get to dive!!

Who should I contact to start this endeavor?

Thanks
Mike

Buff,
You should contact your local sherrif department and emergency services division. Ask about local response teams, search and recovery teams (SAR), fire department special unit teams, and rescue squad speciality teams. I am a member of my local response team. We do body and evidence search and recovery, high angle low angle rescue, swift water rescue, man hunts and other really interesting stuff.

Our team is the only local active dive team around. When needed we can call in national wildlife, DNR, or the sherrifs dive group.

If you call some of those people, they should be able to point you in the right direction. If there is not a local team, you should read Advanced Rescue Technology There was an article in one of the summer issues about starting special rescue teams especially dive teams.

As you will learn or already know, search and rescue diving is not your normal scuba diving. You will be in enviroments where no one else wants to go.

Good luck with it,
ADAM

I wasn't thinking of doing so much of the resuce part as the recovery part.

I do enough "rescue" work as a nurse. I am looking to do more of the lucrative recovery work.

I hope to "rescue" only snowmobiles, cars and the occasional fish house.

the people who pay for recovery are the insurance companies.
contact the auto insurance adjusters in your area, and see what they ahve to say

other then putting a sign up at boat ramps etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom