why do we pay so much

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mirrocraft

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
heres something for all of us to think about. when i lived in fl i went to my local dive shop for everything related to diving. then i moved to kentucky and go figure no dive shop. well from what i have found is that you can get some or most things cheaper at hardware store like double ended brass clips dive shop 8 or 9 dollars hardware store 1.50. same with D rings and clamps and most other hardware does any one have any other ideas of what you can get cheaper and where. i also follow ebay i see the same things on there go for 10 dollars of more what are people thinking do the research and find the deals you can spend more money on importent things

I think some of the equipment must be stainless steel, hence higher cost. The other aspect is loyalty to the local dive shops where you fill your tanks. If you let them go under by buying online, then you can't really complain about not having a LDS around to fill the tanks, maintain the equipment, and buy peripheral gear.

Anything classified as a "speciality" item is going to cost you more. This is true for all hobbies. When I was in grad school, a replacement VGA card for one of our research machine was almost $600. I just went to a local computer store and bought a VGA card for like $60.

A lot of the price difference if from liability issues.

If you purchase a item from your LDS, it is being sold as "dive equipment". The manufactures and resellers of certain industry specific items (ie. diving, aviation, skydiving etc.) incur larger liability, and therefor larger insurance premiums and regulation (which all add up to higher operating costs) verses those selling general use items like you will find in the hardware store. These extra costs are passed on to the consumer.

The snap clip you purchase from your LDS may in fact be the same snap clip being sold in the corner hardware store. But the snap clip being sold at the LDS is a "dive" item and the hardware store is just selling a snap clip not intended for any specific application.

ie. If Joe Diver buys a OMS snap clip from his LDS and the clip fails causing injury or death, then the manufacture will incur certain liability. If the same diver purchased the snap clip at Harry's Hardware, that manufacturer will not have the same liability since it was not sold as "diving equipment".

Dive Safe, Dive Often and Dive HAPPY! :D

there is also the markup issue as a dive shop gets things like clips from a middleman in small quantities whereas harry's hardware gets it from the mafr in much bigger quantities - secondly the LDS gets a high quality clip as they are divers as well - the hardware store buys clips at best price

TheHobster:
there is also the markup issue as a dive shop gets things like clips from a middleman in small quantities whereas harry's hardware gets it from the mafr in much bigger quantities - secondly the LDS gets a high quality clip as they are divers as well - the hardware store buys clips at best price
Could not have said it better, and would add that how fast product turns over (from the time of purchase till it leaves the store) effects the cost, as does the total dollars being sold. Bet the hardware store sells a lot more per day than a dive shop.

Wow... what a discovery.

My wife also made utility pockets for her BP/W with tool pouches from Home Depot - 3 for $10 instead of virtually the same dive rite pockets for $30 each. :wink:

In my sideline business I make custom bike trailers. If I buy the Quick Release Axles from a bicycle supplier I pay $6.00 plus shipping each. It boils down to $10.00 each.

If I get the same axle from a medical supply outfit they are $99.00 plus $15.00 shipping each. Now they are the same Mfg., Specs and materials. Some people are just plain greedy. $10.00 from one place and $114.00 from another is a Rip Off.

Gary D.

howarde:
Wow... what a discovery.

My wife also made utility pockets for her BP/W with tool pouches from Home Depot - 3 for $10 instead of virtually the same dive rite pockets for $30 each. :wink:

Post that on the DIY forum...how she did it that is.

Ron

mirrocraft:
heres something for all of us to think about. when i lived in fl i went to my local dive shop for everything related to diving. then i moved to kentucky and go figure no dive shop. well from what i have found is that you can get some or most things cheaper at hardware store like double ended brass clips dive shop 8 or 9 dollars hardware store 1.50. same with D rings and clamps and most other hardware does any one have any other ideas of what you can get cheaper and where. i also follow ebay i see the same things on there go for 10 dollars of more what are people thinking do the research and find the deals you can spend more money on importent things

If you look back at the history of dive gear, you'll find many things that were adapted for use while diving. For instance, prior to BC, divers used clorox jugs. Dive lights at one time were sealed car headlights. Backplates were street signs of dubios origin.

In many cases, you can create you own dive gear without paying someone else to do it for you and save the money. Some things are of course a bit impractical (regs/tanks)to make others, especially the very high dollar items (RB's, scooters, can lights) may not be but may take significant knowledge/time. The small accessories are especially easy to make/get (slates, pouches, clips, EMT shears, harnesses etc).

Back
Top Bottom