Using The DELTA 4/ FDX10 in Tech./with a Long Hose/Short Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
This comes up fairly often so I will make this a sticky...

Hello Everybody,

The 7 Ft. hose for the Delta 4 MSRP is $79.95. There is additional cost over a "standard" hose simply because of the swivel fitting.

The FDX10 first stage has standard 3/8" first stage ports.

There are many recommendations concerning use of adapters etc. in order to get the desired length. May I recommend as a Technical instructor that you do not add additional failure points.

Use of the Delta 4 in technical diving applications is quite simple with two (2) possible approaches.

1/ You like the swivel and don't see it as an additional failure point or compatibility issue in team based diving and you realize that the swivel is more expensive by its nature. Personally because of the design of the swivel I don't see it as a huge issue in regards to failure, but because I do dive and teach technical as team based I do the following....

2/ Remove the Delta 4 inlet coupling which is unique to the Delta 4 (where the hose with the swivel attach's), replace with a inlet coupling from a GT3/Alpha 8 (part #4330 with a MSRP of $10) and move over the orifice to the new coupling inlet. Now use a standard inline tool to tune the second stage. Viola! Any standard 3/8" hose will now fit and the swivel is gone. Now you have full standard compatibility with team mates and one less "potential" (stretch given the design of the swivel) failure point.

There are quite a few requests I get from people wanting to use of swivel hose from the Delta 4 on older Oceanic products, they do just the opposite (will not work with Omega or Zeta second stages), so it you list the removed Delta 4 inlet coupling and hose here I'm sure they will go.

I hope this helped and cleared up some questions.

Best,

Chris

Chris you are the man. Now i have to get my tech to buy into this :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom