Oceanic Islander ....material different?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tina555

Registered
Reaction score
I posted this topic in BC forum as well. But I figured out that I should also ask directly to the Manufacturers.

Here is my story. I posted here once that I got a too big Islander BC. Finally, the guy that I bought BC with allowed me to change the BC from M to S size. But the problem is ...

The S size of Islander BC that I got is different from the M size one that I just returned. Main different is the Interior Plush Lining . The S size that I have right now has no Interior Plush Lining. Instead of plush lining, they put it with Nylon on my S size. That is so pity, I really love plush lining.

I am so confused with this product. Why oceanic uses the different material on the same BC model. Or the new S size of Islander that I just got has a lower price with no . That is why the guy allowed me to change my BC.

Or may be I could not say anything becasue I myself choosed the wrong size of BC. And to get an opportunity to return is already good enough eventhough it is not a perfect quality of Islander BC.

Hope you understand my English ....
05.gif

user_online.gif
PS I did not buy this BC directly from the Authorized Dealer. I live in Thailand and I bought this BC from the guy that imported the Oceanic product from Singapore by himself.

Tina555:
I posted this topic in BC forum as well. But I figured out that I should also ask directly to the Manufacturers.

Here is my story. I posted here once that I got a too big Islander BC. Finally, the guy that I bought BC with allowed me to change the BC from M to S size. But the problem is ...

The S size of Islander BC that I got is different from the M size one that I just returned. Main different is the Interior Plush Lining . The S size that I have right now has no Interior Plush Lining. Instead of plush lining, they put it with Nylon on my S size. That is so pity, I really love plush lining.

I am so confused with this product. Why oceanic uses the different material on the same BC model. Or the new S size of Islander that I just got has a lower price with no . That is why the guy allowed me to change my BC.

Or may be I could not say anything becasue I myself choosed the wrong size of BC. And to get an opportunity to return is already good enough eventhough it is not a perfect quality of Islander BC.

Hope you understand my English ....
05.gif

user_online.gif
PS I did not buy this BC directly from the Authorized Dealer. I live in Thailand and I bought this BC from the guy that imported the Oceanic product from Singapore by himself.

The change was to make the product more durable.

Cerich,
Tina is correct that there is a change in the material. It is on the internal padded backpack. I currently have 2 Islanders in the store which are both the same size (LG) and same color. Everything is the same with the exception of the Internal padded back pack as well as the cummerbund sleeves. Both BCD's are from different shipments. It is the one from the earlier shipment that has the plush lining. The newer Islander incorporates the same fadeless 1600 Denier Ballistic Cordura for the cummerbund sleeves and padded backpack that is used throughout most of the BCD.
The Air Cell material is 420 denier. I can only hypothesize as to why Oceanic made the change but I do believe that using the 1600 denier will add to the strength and durability factor moreso than the plush lining. Granted the plush lining may feel better against the bare skin, I think that Oceanic was looking more at giving a longer life to the product by the change.

visibilityunlimited:
Cerich,
Tina is correct that there is a change in the material. It is on the internal padded backpack. I currently have 2 Large Islanders in the store which are both the same size (LG) and same color. Everything is the same with the exception of the Internal padded back pack as well as the cummerbund sleeves. Both BCD's are from different shipments. It is the one from the earlier shipment that has the plush lining. The newer Islander incorporates the same fadeless 1600 Denier Ballistic nylon for the cummerbund sleeves and padded backpack that is used throughout the rest of the BCD.
I can only hypothesize as to why Oceanic made the change but I do believe that using the 1600 denier will add to the strength and durability factor moreso than the plush lining. Granted the plush lining may feel better against the bare skin, I think that Oceanic was looking more at giving a longer life to the product by the change.

Roy, you hit it spot on, see my post above.

Tina,
I do thank you for your post. I probably would not have noticed the difference if I hadn't read it. The change apparently is very recent, Because after last post, I opened another shipment we received today which had a medium Islander in it with the plush lining so it must be in the transitional period as of now.

Thank you very much for a useful infomation posted. I am looking forward to my next diving trip next week.

Thanks All. Especially Chris. Now I get to buy a couple new samples.

Darryl :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom