My trip to Red Sea Oct 1 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmaber

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just back from the Red Sea, though I might make a few observations. First if you concerned about Ramadan or security, don’t be. Security in the hotels and the pier was as tight as airports: metal detectors, bag searches, armed police everywhere etc.

We dove with Emperor who were very accommodating. They were willing to get us at our hotel (Sol Y Mar Belvedere) even though it was miles away near the airport. We picked Emperor over our hotel operator Mr. Diver since they don’t have a web site like Emperor. As it turned out Mr. Diver was a good operation too but the location in our hotel did not speak a word or English since our hotel was primarily Italian. Most of the customers of Emperor appeared to be Brits, the boats are well maintained, the gear is in mostly good shape (I did bust an old fin strap). Emperor offers a good daily rate and for a little more you can upgrade to Nitrox or big steel tanks (recommended if you are an air hog like me). They even offer tech diving if that is your thing.

It was very hot, you are in the desert, and from what I hear they are lucky if it rains twice a year. We did not see so much as one cloud in the sky. In October, it hits 43C (110F) by 2:00PM no problem. High season is Jan - March.

Sharam is VERY busy, this is low season and the dive sites are still full of boats. The two harbors are just jammed with dive boats as far as the eye can see. On one dive the line up of divers to do a swim through was so busy we skipped it.

The Red Sea requires an extra 2KG of weight because it is so salty. Technically the Dead sea is a lake so the Red Sea is in fact the worlds saltiest sea. Vis is amazing often 200 feet and we could see 3 huge Lion Fish just from our dock.

My favorite site was Jackfish alley, great corals and many big schools of Anthias (that many call gold fish). Drawn by big currents there is an amazing range of fish here in quite a range off sizes. I saw several huge Moray eels, stone fish and Barracudas.

Please be sure and tip your boat Captain, at least 20 Egyptian pounds a day, per diver. They work hard and the crews we had were great. Any questions I would be happy to answer if I know.

I am not surprised, we only used two of them but it looks like it could use a few more! I have never seen so many dive boats, even in Mexico!

750!! Wow.

The first time I went was in 1991. There were maybe 5 or 6 boats. Dinner at the Hilton Fayrouz was about LE 15. They were constructing the Movenpick at that time.

My last time in sharm was 3 years ago. I couldn't believe how many boats there were. Ras Mohammed is still tops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom