My trip to the LDS...just a little story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeorgeC

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Lanoka Harbor, New Jersey and Ft. Lauderdale, FL
# of dives
500 - 999
Let me preface this by saying I own a Diverite Trans Pack BC

I am at my LDS getting ready to sign my life away for the weekend dive on one of their release forms and notice a Diverite Transpack BC hanging on the sales rack. I didn’t think they carried Diverite so I go over to get a closer look. While looking at the BC it appears to be slightly used. I ask the owner if it is used and he says “Yeah we took it in on a trade in. This BC was Diverites failed attempt to make a BC for a single tank. The BC is totally useless; it does not support a single tank never mind doubles. It is total piece of crap as a mater of fact I would not sell you the BC even if you wanted it.”

So I think, “Which customer of yours will you sell this piece of crap to?”

While discussing regulators the LDS owner says “What BC do you own?”
I looked over to what is hanging on his wall and say the Diverite Transpack.
I was waiting to see the reaction on his face and nothing, not a single flinch, nor a back step. It was as if he never said anything bad about the BC.

I am thinking to myself did he forget what he just said? Is he taking me for a fool? Will he say just about anything to sell his product line or is he just that good to let this go right over his head and not skip a beat.

I really don’t care what he thinks about Diverite but a little disappointed that he is bad mouthing something he does not carry. I am a small business owner and tell potential customers the positive things about what products I carry. If the customer brings up the competition I point out the differences, explain why I designed my solution the way I did and how it benefits them. I never say company xyz sells crap.

When I hear this type of sales tactic it makes me turn the other way and I really want to do business with this shop. I think is he so naive that he thinks he is the only game in town? The Internet does not exist? Or does he take me for a fool? Just a little story I wanted to share.

hahahaha. you cant blame him though...it is a piece of crap

That is purty crappy. I really havnt heard a dive shop tencho or manager out here bad mouth a BCD here. That sucks you have to deal with people like that. Id just say screw it and goto another place. And if you dont want to do that then i would just recognize the guy for what he is and press on with pride. Oh, and give him one of these :mooner:

it happens everywhere, on all sides of the world, doesnt matter if its dive gear, a car or plasma tv

people are going to ***** about products that are their competition

Yeah, I've done it - when I should explain why the competitors product does sell, and why mine is preferable. "blush:
This BC was Diverites failed attempt to make a BC for a single tank. The BC is totally useless; it does not support a single tank never mind doubles. It is total piece of crap as a mater of fact I would not sell you the BC even if you wanted it.”

So I think, “Which customer of yours will you sell this piece of crap to?”
That's when I would have laid a $20 bill on the table and said: "I wanta play with it, you take cash for it?"

I have never understood businesses that badmouth their competition. It turns people off big time. There is a LDS in Hampton that will immediately tell you how bad the competitive LDS across the street is and what is wrong with them. This LDS carries my prefered equipment, but I refuse to buy anything from him. I've been in his shop 3 times and everytime have heard how horrible the other LDS is and no one should ever go in there. The other LDS? I asked him what he thought about the badmouthing LDS. His comment? "They have good equipment." I bought my last skin and wet suit from this guy and he only charged a little more than the internet shops. About the same when you count shipping.

It's the same with equipment, a shop should explain the differences between the equipment, not badmouth it.

There are alot a ways to sell, but labeling the competitions gear as crap is not going to get it. IMO you will chase more people out the door with that line.

GeorgeC:
What top of the line BC do you use?

i use the dive rite back plate with a trek wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom