Sidescan sonar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sparky30

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anybody know of any good websites for information on sidescan sonar? Do you know if you can rent the equipment, or do you have to buy the whole thing....
Just curious.. So many lakes, so few recks to dive on.. there must be more.. LOL :wink:

Thanks for the link. I already had that one. Nice stuff, but their prices are a bit steep. I was hopeing to find a Canadian supplier, and maybe something a bit more affordable :) After all, I spend most of my spare cash on diving.. not much left over for sonars. LOL

Hay Bud

Don't forget you need permission from the ministry of the environment to operate any side scan sonar on any Ontario lake and the fines are hefty. But like you were always looking for our own first big discovery and to hell with them.

Good luck

Bowson once bubbled...
Hay Bud

Don't forget you need permission from the ministry of the environment to operate any side scan sonar on any Ontario lake and the fines are hefty. But like you were always looking for our own first big discovery and to hell with them.

Good luck

So the next obvious question is: Where can I get some more infor on the application process? Are you sure its the ministry of the environment? There is nothing on their website. Does anybody have usefull websites?

..why you would need permission from MOE, or anyone for that matter. All you are doing basically is taking a picture of the bed of the water body. Anyway, you can double check at any local MOE office..there should be a 1-800 # in the blue pages of your phone book.
Randy...

All wrecks on the Canadian side of the Great Lakes are under control of parks and heritage Canada. The use of a sonar device to seek out new unone ship wrecks is forbiden unless you have in writting permission or you have a permit as a historian to use such instruments to look for certain none wrecks of historical interest. I guess they think that if your willing as a civilian to pay the price for such equipment, you would be even more egure to remove items from it.

Master Chief

There has been a lot of references to various regulations but not based on fact. If you are towing a fish you must follow the Collission regulations, the Canada Shipping Act and a few others. Just to motor arround with your fish .....why would you need a permit and where is the regulation?

Each province has its own Ministry of Culture or whatever they call it and they issue archeological permits for sites. Anything removed from the bottom must be reported to the receiver of wrecks.

Any activity under federal water which deals with a historical ishue is mandated by Federal dept of haritage canada. Permits are given out to only those with scientific backing such as Marine archeologist and historiansto do scientific data collecting or preservation to the wrecks, not to divers or individuals in the diving community. Parks Canada are given the authority to protect the wrecks in there regions if protection is warranted.

Master Chief

Back
Top Bottom