Buoyancy over time ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBuoy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Any thoughts ...

Since I started diving just under 2 years ago, I've gone from needing 12 LBS of lead to requiring 24. I've added the weight gradually over time, as I've struggled more to stay down.

I'm fit and I weigh exactly the same as I did then. All my equipment is the same, and my BC is the same unit I bought two years ago. If anything I've added a significantly heaver knife, and a couple of negatively buoyant goodies in my BC pockets including a secondary light. Same wetsuit, gloves, hood, booties, tank, mask, snorkel, and fins.

My SAC is .49 now and it was .65 two years ago. So I've become much more effficient with air consumption. I've had all my equipment serviced and the bladder and release valves are in perfect condition. I'm wearing the same weight in the rear pockets as before. But in the front pockets I've gone from 3 lbs per to 9 lbs per. Now all the personal gear and wetsuit need to be replaced, and I'm quite certain that the buoyancy factor will be huge in all that new neoprene! My weight pouches won't hold a scrap more weight.

I'm always telling students that they will shed weight over time, as they relax, their awareness grows, and if they get more fit. But I've concealed my own personal truth - that I've doubled my weight.

Anyone else have this same experience, any suggestions on what I'm overlooking - it's a real puzzel to me?:doctor:

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
But I've concealed my own personal truth - that I've doubled my weight.
...even though personal secrets weigh heavy on the heart...
they do not allow you to reduce the lead you carry. :wink:

Perhaps you have reduced your SAC by holding onto more of your air.

Perhaps the manufacturers have changed the buoyancy characteristics of the BC since the first one you purchased.

Perhaps you were actually underweighted as a newbie.

Give us more specifics: brands and models so to speak. Heigth/weight and what thickness wetsuit are you wearing?

MY BC is still the original one I purchased, sorry that wasn't clear in the original post. In fact I'm diving all the exact same stuff from 2 years ago (nothing has changed) with the exception that I've added more lead and other negatively buoyant paraphenalia.

Like you I'm absolutely convinced I was totally underweighted as a beginning diver. But I clearly do not remember ever struggling, and that was with brand new fully buoyant gear!

On an early dive this morning I was frustrated that I was starting to rise again just a little (in 25 fsw), so I actually tried your theory and breathed primarily off of a fully deflated lung rather than in the middle like I normally do. I was exhaling completely between every breath. Though there was some difference it was negligible and uncomfortable and unnatural to perform.

Equipment:
BC - SeaQuest Pro Unlimited w Titanium 5 inch knife mod
Wetsuit, booties, gloves, hood - Hendersen Gold Core 7/5
Tank - Aire 100cf HP Steel DIN
Reg - Atomic T1/T2 X
Computers - Cochran Gemini/Suunto Cobra
Fins - ScubaPro TwinJet Graphite
Mask - Cressi Big Eyes
Snorkel - OceanMaster Dry

You mention you will be replacing some equipment.
Is it possible for you to get a drysuit or is that out of the picture?

Are you replacing the BC? If so, a SS Backplate would take 6# off of your belt... with a P-weight or weighted STA you could take off another 6#.

Baring that I don't know what to tell you other than to keep working on the breathing patterns.

I find this very strange indeed

PUG is probably on the right track...as usual...

tell me more

1 - how long have you been diving
2 - where you comfortably neutrual two years ago
3 - what is the exaxct weight you are wearing
4 - what is your height and weight

Thanks Pug, but after spending 820.00 on my current BC don't think I'll be changing any time soon.

Having test dove with no better success a Zeagle Ranger LTD and OMS Backplate (each for 4 dives - hated both). There is no way I'm switching off this BC. The BC is in perfect condition and has remained unchanged for 2 years.

AquaTec - You can't find it any stranger than I. My current cert is Master Scuba Diver Trainer with PADI. I went from my first dive October 25th 2000 to OWSI in 10 months August 26th 2001 (with 3 months off for Winter).

1 - how long have you been diving
I've been diving for 1 year and 11 months.
2 - were you comfortably neutrual two years ago
Yes.
3 - what is the exact weight you are wearing
I mentioned that - 24lb.
4 - what is your height and weight
5 ft 11 inches and 200lbs

Now if you use the rule of divide by 10 and add 10% I'd be weighted perfectly but that doesn't change the fact that I dove on 12lbs without a problem for my first 10 months and have been slowly adding weight ever since.

I love a good mystery but not at my expense :(

Pug - one more thing, I'm saving for a dry suit - more "suitable" for California Diving. I've my sights set on a DUI for around 2,000.00. I'm sure I'll be able to shed some weight with that.

I too am 5' 11 " 200

But im wearing a drysuit with 12 lbs lead and doubles.

maybe your were in better shape back then. Could be that you lost muscle yet put on fat. muscle weights more than fat.

All else being the same, i think its a valid possibility.

Andy

no offense ment at all, i am just posting other possibilities.

I'm large boned and dense (not just in the head). But I could definitely do more strengthening exercises, and build more tone.

In the meantime, until I purchase a dry suit, and exchange more fat for muscle - I'm going to see if I can force more lead into the rear pockets, I'm sure I can get 5 lbs on each side - hmmph.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom