FYI - GT3 Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I wanted to post this as a heads up to Oceanic. My GF purchased a new GT3 and liked it until it start "wheezing." She returned it and got another GT3 which also started this wheezing. It made her concerned enough to go with another brand all together.

This may be an isolated thing, but I thought I would mention it. If I was part of a company, I would want to know when things like this happened to prevent them in the future. So I thought I would offer it to you as a heads up.

Hi Jarret

I am sorry but I don't really understand what you meant by "Wheezing"
Can you provide more details ?

Thanks.

I use GT3's on my tech rig (back gas and stages/deco), it would be fair to say I have confidence in them.

Could she tell if it was the first or second stage that made the noise?

DVT or non DVT?

Tanks for the heads up, it is appreciated!

Best,

Chris

It was in the DVT, I am the one that sold her the regulator. We sent it back immediately. Tech support advised us that it has been happening in 5% of the DVT regs. 1st stage, DVT. It happened again so we sent the 2nd one back. I just got a new one back from Oceanic on Friday at my shop. I am the one that suggested the B2 from Atomic, because she indicated she was worried about getting a third one. Everything was handled quickly and efficiently. Customer was advised that Oceanic knew of the problem, and the problem has been solved.

Debraw:
It was in the DVT, I am the one that sold her the regulator. We sent it back immediately. Tech support advised us that it has been happening in 5% of the DVT regs. 1st stage, DVT. It happened again so we sent the 2nd one back. I just got a new one back from Oceanic on Friday at my shop. I am the one that suggested the B2 from Atomic, because she indicated she was worried about getting a third one. Everything was handled quickly and efficiently. Customer was advised that Oceanic knew of the problem, and the problem has been solved.

Good morning Debraw!

The % sounds about right, I know the engineering team have been working on killing that last 5%!

The good news is that by no means is it a performance or safety issue, the bad news is that the divers that experience it find it annoys to no end.

In my experience from my territory the harmonic with the DVT manifests itself mainly among divers with exceptionally good air consumption (.4 RMV seems to be the range). Basically I have instructors and women that it shows up in. In fact the divers with the issue have the issue with other regs with DVT and the reg they had the issue with doesn't harmonic with other divers. ( I have a husband/wife buddy team that the wife always gets a harmonic but the husband doesn't with multiple switches between them of the two regs, now the wife has a FDX10 without DVT and they are happy)

I'm fully aware(as is everybody at Oceanic) that this is a annoying issue, be assured we will solve it and in the meantime bend over backward to assist those with the issue.

Best,

Chris

PS- Darryl and I just got of the phone talking about this, you must read minds!

I did explain to the customer that this was not a reason to think the regulator would fail. Matter of fact it happend to me with a V32 Mares Proton Ice about 2 years ago and I dove with it for over a year. All it needed was a spring to be turned over and viola'! problem solved. I advised the customer of the 5% issue as soon as we heard from Oceanic, 2 weeks ago. Once she indicated she was uncomfortable about the 2nd regulator, I sold her a B2 at just above my cost and she was able to switch out regs for a minimal charge. I have sold a hundred or more DVT regs in the last 19 months and this is the first one/two we have returned.

Hey Debra,

The reality is that every manufacturer is dealing with or has dealt with harmonics from time to time. It is a well known issue with piston first stages. Anytime you have high pressure air flowing past sharp edges on springs, pistons or whatever it can create a "honk" or harmonic. Good to hear that your percentage of DVT sales versus how many are honking is low. Sorry to hear we lost a customer to my friend Dean at Atomic over slight harmonics. Grrrrr.......

Darryl

There, there now, it's ok. Can't win them all Darryl. :coffee: Grab a cup of coffee, let's get to work!

Darryl Bowerman:
Hey Debra,

The reality is that every manufacturer is dealing with or has dealt with harmonics from time to time. It is a well known issue with piston first stages. Anytime you have high pressure air flowing past sharp edges on springs, pistons or whatever it can create a "honk" or harmonic. Good to hear that your percentage of DVT sales versus how many are honking is low. Sorry to hear we lost a customer to my friend Dean at Atomic over slight harmonics. Grrrrr.......

Darryl

Dean knows all about harmonics and how tough they are to fix sometimes....:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom