color correction- raw vs. filter vs. manual white balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CLA

Reaction score
Hi,

Which method of color correction would give the best image quality- taking raw and photoediting, manual white balance, or magic filters? I use manual white balance (Oly 7070) with a white slate but noticed that the picture becomes "grainy". Will it be the same with the filter or after photoediting raw pics? What are the pros and cons for each method?

Also, are there wet-mount filters which can be attached or detached underwater? From what I understand, the filters have to be installed inside the housing? or am I mistaken?

Cathy

The Magic Filters let you get color AND a nice blue background. Without the filters, the blue water is often washed out. It's a very desaturated look. Manual WB is nice, but filters are the way to go for available light. That's why videographers have been doing it for so long.

There are some wet-mount filters. I don't know how they compare to Magic Filters. The most popular are from UR Pro. Sea & Sea also has some I think.

The magic filters can be wet coupled to the camera housing, but definitely work better for video (UR color correction filters) than stills. VIdeo cameras capture images differently than still cameras, and can often shoot better in low light situations...

I use the RAW editor for my White Balance. It is easier than manually setting the WB before I take every picture. I see people go through that hassle, and it looks just like that... a hassle.

The filter vs. raw is not the same either. The filter changes what the light looks like to your camera. If you have strobes... then that changes the light too. If you're going from shooting close up with with a strobe - to wide angle... the WB will appear different, and you'd have to reset your camera. In RAW editor, you just adjust - the WB is a totally flexible temperature setting, and with RAW you can change that easily.

I hope this makes sense...

You're right Howarde - setting and resetting WB with every change in depth is a hassle and the reason why I was looking for wet-moiunt filters is because I want to switch from strobe to natural light on the same dive. RAW would probably give me the most flexibility but will it also preserve image quality? Or will it give me a grainy background as in this picture?

272234029_bc7f935526_o.jpg

RAW is just that... RAW - it writes exactly what the camera sees... no compression like a JPEG...

If you have to boost the color temperature a lot, and/or boost the exposure, you will see graininess.

If your camera has RAW... I would try that first, before you buy something else, since it's already on your camera... that's free :wink:

I can't see a lot of grain on that photo of yours... I see lots of bubbles from other divers, but maybe it looks different on your monitor?

I may be wrong but my Magic Filter cannot be wet mounted. It must be dry and fits in the filter holder behind the lens or over the front of the lens held in place with a clear screw on filter/mount.

CLA:
You're right Howarde - setting and resetting WB with every change in depth is a hassle and the reason why I was looking for wet-moiunt filters is because I want to switch from strobe to natural light on the same dive. RAW would probably give me the most flexibility but will it also preserve image quality? Or will it give me a grainy background as in this picture?

272234029_bc7f935526_o.jpg

This looks like colour noise to me.
How much post processing did you do to this pic?

Photoshop CS2 has a nifty filter under Filter/Noise/Reduce noise which can get rid of a lot of that noise....

Great pic, love all that hard coral :).

If you are using a C-7070, just use a Magic Filter and shoot RAW. You should have to do very little color correction. They also have an Auto Magic Filter designed for compact cameras. It loses an additional 1/2 stop of light but is supposed to work at all depths without recalibrating.

I've been trying to attach one the photos I recently too. It keeps failing. This is my recent gallery from Fiji. Every one of these photos was taken with the original Magic Filter.

http://www.pbase.com/krancer/fiji_2006_

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom