Inon AD vs threaded lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CLA

Reaction score
Hi, posted this question in the Oly forum but I thought I'd get more responses out here.

Which Inon wet-mount lenses would be best to "invest" in - the AD or the threaded type? I'm planning to buy a second macro lens for my Oly 7070 in PT-O27. What I have is the UCL 165M67 with the 67mm thread but I hear the AD lenses are much easier to use. Are they worth the extra expense of getting another port and AD mount? As was pointed out to me in my previous post, Inon makes mount bases for many popular cameras so there's a good chance I can still use the lenses if I decide to change my camera and housing. Does the AD mount give stronger support for heavier WA lenses or would the threaded attachments be more secure?

Hi Cath, I used to use an AD mount with my old Canon S70. I've never used the 67 threaded ones so really can't compare. While I only had the macro lens, I was able to borrow my friends Inon WA lens w/ Fisheye Dome (AD mount) during a liveaboard trip in Thailand. I found the AD mount very convenient as we go from WA to macro shots. Also we would swap lenses underwater (he didn't have a macro lens). The AD mount is very secure even with the fisheye lens on and I never had an issue with it falling off the camera or the extra AD lens holder on the strobe arm.

That's good to hear, Mike. Changing to AD will be more costly since I have to buy the port, mount converter and 2 new macro lenses. However, aside from ease of use , another advantage to using AD is that the Inon port might be more secure than the Oly (which has weak latches) and this might allow me to use heavier WA lenses in the future. I just hope Inon won't change their lens systems as often as they upgrade their strobes. A lot of other housing manufacturers use threaded mounts or attachments but since PNS cameras are getting smaller and smaller, I also wonder how long these will be around.

The threaded lenses can be done UW, but it takes extra time and care, and you have to be cautious not to over or under tighten them. The bayonet lenses are just a quick push and turn from what I can see, and can't be overtightened.

CLA:
... but since PNS cameras are getting smaller and smaller...

no kidding about that... you should have seen how silly my Canon S70 looked with that Fisheye Dome on!!

and I just noticed Inon just came out with an AD mount for the Fuji F30 which I just bought as my point n shoot. The F30 is tiny!!! take at look at this!!

gfx_01353.jpg

I think you'll be safe with the AD mount being around for awhile, but you'll be locked into Inon... which ain't bad in itself (they make great products) but are pricey... :eyebrow:

I spoke with a buddy of mine who recomended the ad mount over the threaded...

this was of course due to the fact he had de-threaded the camera over time by not taking it slow. He also told me that if you over tighten the lense you might run into problems.

Not sure if this is common or just user error....either way I decided on the ad mount long ago...I almost have enough greenbacks saved up for my inon lense + adapter....hopefully soon..:money:

Great choice, Mike. If I ever flood my housing, that will be my next camera. I actually like the fact that cameras are getting smaller. My 7070 is a bit too big for small hands and in fact Myra had a hard time using it during our last DOR. I'm almost convinced about the bayonet lens system. Maybe I'll make that my advanced Christmas present. :wink:

I would definitely go with the AD mount. It is more universial and allows you to use your lenses with a variety of cameras including some video housings. The AD is also very easy to put on underwater without even really looking and you have the lense caddies you can use too.

Larry, lifeisfullofgoodidves, you're right that overtightening is a risk and it has in fact happended to me already. I almost ripped off the port trying to get the lens off one time but luckilly the latches are still intact. Might not be so lucky the next time it happens, though.

"The AD is also very easy to put on underwater without even really looking..."
That's good to know rjsimp. I have missed some photo ops while fumbling with my threaded lens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom