Uwatec/Scubapro Smart Z Wireless Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

inked_diver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Howdy,
I was recently upgraded from a smartcom to a wireless smart Z. Interested in hearing from those who have dove this computer.....whats its like? Good computer? Any info is welcome. Thanks
Edward

inked_diver:
Howdy,
I was recently upgraded from a smartcom to a wireless smart Z. Interested in hearing from those who have dove this computer.....whats its like? Good computer? Any info is welcome. Thanks
Edward

I've got the smart tec - I like it. I like the wrist location and have never had any issues with the link. I did have to return it once after it quit working on vacation - glad I had a backup with me but since then it has worked like a charm ( early version they claimed that had a software issue). I really like the dive log software - much better than Oceanic's.

I, too, upgraded to the smartz from the smartcom after learning my preference for a wrist mounted computer. The smartz is a great computer...all the information the smartcom provides readily viewable at the wrist. I've read of transmission interruptions when shooting a strobe but I've personally never experienced this. Unfortunaelty, as my diving evolved throughout this year down the tech pathway, neither computer has seen the water in a while...

jbb:
I've got the smart tec - I like it. I like the wrist location and have never had any issues with the link. I did have to return it once after it quit working on vacation - glad I had a backup with me but since then it has worked like a charm ( early version they claimed that had a software issue). I really like the dive log software - much better than Oceanic's.

I've got a SmartTec too. What version are you talking about that had troubles? How do I find what version I have? I'm using mine this weekend for the 1st time and am looking forward to it. I upgraded from the Oceanic Atom because of the crap software and the small screen on the Atom.

simonc:
I've got a SmartTec too. What version are you talking about that had troubles? How do I find what version I have?QUOTE]

I got one of the early production units. I did buy it early last year feb-mar '05. Not sure how to tell. I don't think they did a recall or anything. It just quit after one of my dives and I couldn't turn it on. They did replace the battery and I got the unit back with all of my dives still on it including the test dives they used to check it out.

So, I havent heard any responses from anyone actually diving the Smart Z.....a few of you who dive the Smart Tec responded. Wondering of anyone with actually dives on the Scubapro Smart Z can tell me what they think. I appreciate the feedback.

I dive the Smart Z, and after 41 dives on it I've had no problems so far. Diving planning is great on it. Everything is right there for you to get at easily. Nitrox compatiable and easy to switch % and pp. Backlight is bright and easy to read at night. No regrets buying it at all. Also alot of preferences with alarms you can switch on or off. Great comp, but then again I haven't used any others so I can't compare.

The software is excellent as well, easy to edit, add pictures, notations and what not. Dont buy the Uwatec IR buy an after market on Newegg it will save you alot of $. Only thing I would tell you is backup your dives on the pc. I recently lost a HD in a Raid and lost all my older dives. (IE: descriptions and whatnot, not the actual information.) I think the comp stores up to 150 dives but not sure.

Back
Top Bottom