Dahab dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mislav

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
So, I got back from a diving trip to Dahab, Egypt. Dahab means gold in Arabic and it is truly worthy of that name. I've spent ten days diving there and I'm happy to report that it was amazingly fabulous!

Some of the famous locations I've visited:

The canyon:
Stretched from 50m depth to 20 something, ending in a fishbowl shaped coral reef dome. Excellent dive location!

The islands:
The richest reef I've ever been to. Amazingly rich marine life!

El Bells:
Diving head down through the chimney to the depth of 30m!

Blue Hole:
Diving through a traffic jam of freedivers, tech divers, snorkellers and rec divers in this infamous divers' death trap. A must for any serious diving afficionado.

Ras Mohammed:
Drift dive at one of the most interesting national parks of the Sinai.

Thistlegorm:
The most famous wreck of the Red Sea. I dove there at the time of the amazingly strong current - even the local divers said it was probably the strongest current they've seen.

I've done some night dives, went diving Nitrox and set my new depth record at 70m. I saw large stingray, large turtle even an octopuss which I don't see much in the Red Sea. I fell in love with lion fishes - they are beautiful and elegant creatures. There was even a Red Sea Walkman strolling along. I am still undecided if corals are prettier to look during the day or at night when they start feeding on plankton. I could go on and on describing the amazing biodiversity of the Red Sea, but I could never give it justice. One has to see this through his own eyes to truly appreciate it!

Diving in Dahab is mostly done from the shore, but Thistlegorm and Ras Mohammed were boat dives. The water was very warm, mostly around 26ºC. Viz was excellent at most of the sites with an exception of Blue Hole.

I was very sad to see a significant damage done to the corals, especially at Ras Mohammed. I've even witnessed myself some of the destruction taking place right before my eyes. Something really has to be done urgently to preserve these reefs.

Can't wait to go back. Perhaps next time I would be able to meet some of the SB members there.

Thank you, Asser. Having dived El Bells twice now, seeing your avatar puts a big smile on my face.

Booked my flights to Dahab yesterday - woohoo!! :D

Sounds great, Mislav - quick question, how far by boat is the Thistlegorm from Dahab? I thought it was a long way south, that was all.

That's great! You'll love it there!

You don't go to Thistlegorm straight from Dahab. We went by mini-bus to Sharm El Sheikh first, which is 80 km far from Dahab. From there it was a three hour trip by boat to Thistlegorm. But it's worth it. The rumour is that they might close Thistlegorm down next year. I'm not sure if the rumour is accurate or not.

audission:
Booked my flights to Dahab yesterday - woohoo!! :D

Sounds great, Mislav - quick question, how far by boat is the Thistlegorm from Dahab? I thought it was a long way south, that was all.

You'll have fun here. Enjoy :)

The Thistlegorm is done out of Sharm not Dahab.

That's good info, thanks guys.

The Thistlegorm is fast becoming the *definitive wreck dive*, it'd be a pity to be so near and not dive it... whether I get to do it or not though I'm sure Dahab will be beautiful.

Any must-sees/tips etc? :wink:

audission:
Any must-sees/tips etc? :wink:
I strongly recommend the diving locations I've mentioned above. Each is a must-see! I dove in other places in Dahab as well, but there's a good reason why I mentioned those. :)

Other than that, have felafel for breakfast. :D

mislav:
I strongly recommend the diving locations I've mentioned above. Each is a must-see! I dove in other places in Dahab as well, but there's a good reason why I mentioned those. :)

Other than that, have felafel for breakfast. :D
I'd add the lighthouse.
Another good thing is to dive some of the sites mentioned above but in a different way. I mean, different entries and exits or the same entries and exits but different underwater routes. You need to arrange this with your dive op.

Red Sea Shadow:
I'd add the lighthouse.
Another good thing is to dive some of the sites mentioned above but in a different way. I mean, different entries and exits or the same entries and exits but different underwater routes. You need to arrange this with your dive op.
Agreed 100%. I figured he'd be probably doing his check dive at lighthouse anyway. I've had two wonderful dives at lighthouse. (El Fanar - آل فنر - is that correctly spelled, Asser?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom