Zeta questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noobascooba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi

I just bought a new oceanic zeta, and I totally love how it breathes. I did have a couple of questions though...

1) It breathes beautifully when I'm horizontal, but it's noticably harder to breathe if I'm vertical or on my back. This was at only 12 feet depth. Does this mean I can't lie on my back and watch my bubbles if I'm deep?
2) As I was warned, it does free flow easily. Would getting a covered octo holder to attach it to when I'm on the surface prevent this?
3) I heard it is a **** to service, is this true?
4) The first breathe is difficult. Is this the 'cracking effort'? I thought cracking effort was something you had to overcome on every breath.
5) What exactly is a servo and what is it doing?

Sorry,I just like knowing how my gear works!

Great reg, thanks

ns

noobascooba:
Hi

I just bought a new oceanic zeta, and I totally love how it breathes. I did have a couple of questions though...

1) It breathes beautifully when I'm horizontal, but it's noticably harder to breathe if I'm vertical or on my back. This was at only 12 feet depth. Does this mean I can't lie on my back and watch my bubbles if I'm deep?
All regulators are harder breathing in those positions. It has to do with the vertical distance between the center of your lungs and the second stage diaphragm.
noobascooba:
2) As I was warned, it does free flow easily. Would getting a covered octo holder to attach it to when I'm on the surface prevent this?
It will minimize it, as long as the reg stays in the holder. Just as effective is to be sure that it fills with water when you enter the water (gently turn it mouthpiece up and let it fill).
noobascooba:
3) I heard it is a **** to service, is this true?
I don’t know, but the Omega was easy. Pilots generally require a little more knowledge.
noobascooba:
4) The first breathe is difficult. Is this the 'cracking effort'? I thought cracking effort was something you had to overcome on every breath.
I don’t understand that, unless it is a question of air flowing through the pilot to the second stage supply valve, sort of priming the pump.
noobascooba:
5) What exactly is a servo and what is it doing?
It’s a valve (pilot valve) that controls a valve. The pilot can be MUCH smaller, have much smaller springs, and much more accurate than the larger valve that actually controls the air flow. You suck in, that opens the pilot valve, which then uses the energy available in the intermediate pressure to open the valve that controls the flow of air to your lungs.

Thanks for the detailed info, very helpful.

The only thing I don't understand is the reasoning for it being more difficult to breathe if I'm on my back, because the vertical distance between my lungs and the diaphragm will be the same if I'm face down. I thought it might be because of water pushing down on the diaphragm, but I realised this doesn't make sense since the water pressure is the same whatever position I'm in. Maybe it's to do with my lungs being below the diaphragm rather than above? Sorry if I'm being dumb!

Thanks again,

ns

noobascooba:
Thanks for the detailed info, very helpful.

The only thing I don't understand is the reasoning for it being more difficult to breathe if I'm on my back, because the vertical distance between my lungs and the diaphragm will be the same if I'm face down. I thought it might be because of water pushing down on the diaphragm, but I realised this doesn't make sense since the water pressure is the same whatever position I'm in. Maybe it's to do with my lungs being below the diaphragm rather than above? Sorry if I'm being dumb!

Thanks again,

ns
Just a few inches change can be easily felt. If are vertical and look up, or if you are swimming on your back you will feel a bit like you are sucking through a straw. This is true of all single hose regulators.

Thalassamania:
Just a few inches change can be easily felt. If are vertical and look up, or if you are swimming on your back you will feel a bit like you are sucking through a straw. This is true of all single hose regulators.

Great answers! If you really want to experience the change in breathing effort body position has dive a rebreather...

I often hear the ZETA (and OMEGA) described as a PITA to service, even well before I was wih Oceanic (think 10 years before) I always found the OMEGA and the ZETA(after some early kinks were ironed out, your reg certainly is a late production and well ironed:wink: easy and actually fun regs to service. Then again I also like servicing the SP D400 which other techs hate and I can't stand servicing the old Dacor Modular series second stages or Posedins and other love to....

The first breath shouldn't be harder....:huh:

Have the shop throw it on the magnehelic and see what is happening there.

Best,

Chris

I love my OMEGAS and service them myself. no prob. Same for my Cyclon 300s. I guess it just takes a certain kind of outlook to love those side-breathers.

Thalassamania:
I love my OMEGAS and service them myself. no prob. Same for my Cyclon 300s. I guess it just takes a certain kind of outlook to love those side-breathers.

The cyclons are neat regs, it's like working on a fine watch but often so it doesn't lose minutes every few weeks. The Jetstream is my PITA because when I tuned mine to what I liked they were out of tune in a weekend of diving which drove me nuts.

cerich:
The first breath shouldn't be harder....:huh:

It feels almost like something is stuck for a fraction of a second, then it opens up fine and every other breath is really easy

Maybe I'll get someone to look at it. I have only tried it in the pool. I might get to use it in open water this w/e, I'lll see how it goes.

Nice reg though..

ns

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom