HP or LP cylinders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CC1020

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering about the differences, and advantages/disadvantages of High-Pressure and Low-Pressure tanks. Are there specific applications for the two types?

Choose the one that trims you best and holds the amount of air/gas you want. For me that's LP. For others, that may not be the case.

Good luck.

CC1020:
I was wondering about the differences, and advantages/disadvantages of High-Pressure and Low-Pressure tanks. Are there specific applications for the two types?

What Happened to Low-Pressure Cylinders? Many experienced divers have preferred low-pressure cylinders because they are easier on regulators, have no short-fill concerns, and are more suitable for partial-pressure blending. More recently, the low-pressure 3AA cylinders (2640 psi, i.e., 2400 with a +) are being replaced by the new DOT exemption cylinders (3442 psi, no plus needed). That's because you can use the high-pressure 3442 psi cylinders as low-pressure 2650 psi cylinders if you prefer, simply by under filling. The 3442 psi DOT Exemption cylinders have the same length, diameter, and capacity at lower 2640 psi pressure as the 3AA cylinders. Even better, the empty weight of the new cylinder design has been reduced slightly, yet the buoyancy remains slightly negative when empty.

From: http://www.diveriteexpress.com/gas/steel.shtml (scroll down the page)

Despite the fact you can use the HP cylinders with less pressure in them, they do trim differently than the LP cylinders due to difference in construction methods.

Both need to be taken into account.

PerroneFord, when you say that they trim differently, how do you mean?

Some tanks float valve down, some float bottom down... Some change over the course of the dive based on how much air is in the tanks. Like an AL80.

Ok, thank you very much

Back
Top Bottom