What is this exactly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EBdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just have a question. Someone sent me this picture and I don't know what it is exactly. I know its a sea cucumber, but I have no idea what kind. Can anyone help me? :confused:

yep its definetly a cucuber

a "black cucumber" to be precise there you go question sorted

only jokeing weve got a marine boffin at our club ill ask him for you on thursday

a Horned Sea Slug? :)

It's definately a Sea Cucumber. According to Paul Humann's Caribbean Reef Creatures, First Edition, pg. 297

None of the Sea Cucumbers in the Caribbean seem to match it exactly. The closest one is the Donkey Dung Sea Cucumber (no joke!) except it has smooth skin, none of the small podia or spikes.

Where was the pic taken?

Thanks for sharing that! I have never seen the black ones before. Ours are greeish yellow.

I never would have imagined people eat those things too. One of the Asian restaurants I inspect was cooking sea cucumber during an inspection once. They were suprised I knew what it was.

Those things get long in Cozumel.

TwoBit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom