Diving AK in Dec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer

Contributor
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I will be in AK (Anchorage) for the week before Xmas, and I'm wondering if there's any diving to be done in the area. We'd love to do an ice diving class if possible, but assuming we can hit the ocean, that'd also be something we're interested in. How cold is the water that time of year? I'll be diving MA waters in the upper 40s, she'll be used to the CA waters in the lower 50s. Is the diving worth lugging our drysuits across the country, or should we just hold off till we both get to CA come the new year? Thanks!

It's worth lugging, or renting when you get here. Seward has boat diving most weekends and is awsome! Expect surface temps of low 40s and high 30s deeper. Do NOT miss out on this chance. AK diving is awsome!
I don't know of any ice classes but someone may. Enjoy your visit!

Thanks, WC. If you don't mind, could you answer a few questions? Are there any reasonable shore dives, or are boat dives the best way to go? Any operators you recommend? How much are charters? [Two tanks here run $60-70.] If anyone else knows about ice diving possibilities, please let me know. I'll be able to ice dive here in MA come January (likely), but my girlfriend who is in SoCal won't have a chance unless we can do it in AK.

Boat dives only. Pricey too but worth it. Call Scott or Karen at Dive Alaska. I can't say for sure but Im thinking a two tank dive with rental gear may be in the $300 ish range. Lots of driving, boat costs for a boat that only goes out on weekends, ect, but again, VERY WELL WORTH IT!
Snowbear drug her boat 6 hours each way to do two tanks with me last week and she too though it was worth it...Look for the pics in this forum.

Snowbear:
Scott's not running the boat in the winter as the weather tends to be too unpredictable.

Most of the diving done from now until Spring will be shore diving in Whittier. Not nearly as spectacular as Resurrection or Kachemak Bays, but still worth diving, IMHO.

PM me if you want and I'll dive with you guys...

That's amazingly generous. We still need to work out the details of the trip, but assuming we have any free time, I'd love to get in the water! Will let you know. If not this time, then next (girlfriend was born and raised in Anchorage, and her family is still there, so we visit at least once a year...).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom