On camera flash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have another question about my homemade housing. When the camera flash goes off it makes a terrible glare. I try to keep it turned off, which is easer said than done, since it turns it’s self back on automatically. Right now I’m taking pictures right through the acrylic housing. I’m thinking about adding a glass lens. Will this be enough to isolate the case from the optics hence eliminating the glare? I know the best way would be with an off camera flash, but is there anyway to use the on camera flash that I have?

Thanks,
Steve

SteveC:
I have another question about my homemade housing. When the camera flash goes off it makes a terrible glare. I try to keep it turned off, which is easer said than done, since it turns it’s self back on automatically. Right now I’m taking pictures right through the acrylic housing. I’m thinking about adding a glass lens. Will this be enough to isolate the case from the optics hence eliminating the glare? I know the best way would be with an off camera flash, but is there anyway to use the on camera flash that I have?

Thanks,
Steve
IS THE LENS GETTING THE GLARE FROM THE INSIDE OF THE HOUSING? IF SO U MUST ISOLATE THE LENS OR CREATE A SHADE SO THAT THE INTERNALLY CAUSED GLARE DOES NOT REFLECT BACK ONTO THE LENS..SORRY ABOUT THE UPPER CASE LETTERS..

Personally I'd just tape a piece of cardboard over the flash... maybe not the best design change, but probably really easy to do.

JamesD:
Personally I'd just tape a piece of cardboard over the flash... maybe not the best design change, but probably really easy to do.
Or, even simpler, a small piece of black electrical tape accomplishes the same thing with fewer parts. :D

Can you post a photo of your housing? if you still wanted to be able to use the flash (to trigger an external strobe) just covering it up won't work. You just need to isolate the lens from the rest of the housing. Most I've seen have a black rubber tube surrounding the extended lens. Seeing the housing would help.

I'll see if I can get a picture of it. It looks like the best plan for me now is to install a button to turn off the flash. I hate to add possible leak points, but I don't see anyway to isolate the lens from the housing.

What if you isolate the flash with a rubber tube from the flash to the inside of the housing. You can also add a diffuser like a piece of white semi translucent plastic on the outside of the flash to attenuate the light a bit an in turn reduce backskatter. That way you will still trigger an external strobe, if you are using one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom